Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KojDads  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:58:42 PM(UTC)
KojDads

Man

Lets see some fly boxes! Whats your confidence bait DTA members?

UserPostedImage

These are some of my favorites.. If its ugly it works! BigGrin

I will always trade 20 average sized fish for "the one" 20 plus....
Sponsor
flyfishingfreak  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:03:10 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

I like the looks of that box, my streamers and mice are all mixed together in various small boxes.... it makes it a bit challenging finding the one i want sometimes Razz

tomorrow i'll try to take a few pictures of some of my boxes
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:12:20 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 151 post(s)
After the end of the season I began taking stock of my fly collection, trying to figure out what I need to replace and what I want to add. Somehow I managed to leave a fair number of flies in tree branches this summer. Mad
UserPostedImage

I've organized my flies by type and style, which meant I was usually carrying more fly boxes than I really wanted to on most days. I want to take a different strategy next year, paring things down to just what I need for a day's fishing. Hopefully just one or two small boxes.

This aluminum box has been with me since day one. Old reliable. I use it mostly for bead heads, scuds and nymphs. It's nice and compact and holds a lot. Although sometimes I end up dropping a fly or two on the ground accidentally while trying to retrieve one from a compartment. I learned the hard way to not open this thing while in the stream.
UserPostedImage

This Scientific Angler double-sider is my primary dry fly box. Caddis patterns on one side, Adams, BWO, Cahills, etc... on the other. A nice box, but a little too big for most pockets. Holds a ton though.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Morrel foam boxes work well for streamers, hoppers and buggers. The foam tends to get chewed up over time. But they are really light weight and float, in case you happen to drop it into the drink.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

A big plastic box holds my bigger fair. A real pain to tote around. I use it mostly for storage. Maybe those Hex patterns will see some action someday. I have yet to see a Hex hatch in the DA.
UserPostedImage

These small plastic boxes are perfect for smaller flies. Inexpensive too. And they fit easily into any pocket. Only a 1/2" thick. I'm thinking a couple of these with the aluminum 6/compartment box will be the way to go next year. Or maybe even just use a small Altoid tin for my buggers and bead heads.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Fewer boxes with just the basics is the plan. Two or three dry patterns, the usual bead heads, a couple of streamers. Add some terrestrials and hoppers when the weather warms up.

Keep it light and simple. That's the plan.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
kschaefer3  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 6:23:03 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

KojDads - Lots of streamers!! That's what I like to see. And big dirty streamers. Do you do any fishing on freestone streams north of the driftless? Looks like some of those flies are more suited for that type of water. Also, saw your last post from Iowa, nice fish! Were those on streamers? Or just drifting nymphs real deep? I have never been to Iowa but am thinking I should soon...maybe tomorrow.

William Schlafer - Lots of flies! Never enough though, right? I have recently struggled, like you mentioned, with bringing more fly boxes than I need because of how I separate mine. When I find some time I want to get big holding boxes and make up a small box or two for each trip I take. The really slim box in the last two pictures, what kind is that? I really like that one. Nice and small, but big enough to hold a fair amount of dries and nymphs.

Tight lines!

Kyle
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 8:14:44 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

kschaefer3 wrote:
The really slim box in the last two pictures, what kind is that? I really like that one. Nice and small, but big enough to hold a fair amount of dries and nymphs.

Tight lines!

Kyle

Orvis carries them: Orvis Super Slim Vest Fly Box

But I've also seen similar boxes with different brand names at the fly shop in Viroqua and other places. Can't beat the price. I've put larger flies in these by hooking them down sideways (flat) instead of standing them up in the foam. They probably won't work for anything larger than a size 12. For smaller flies, they're perfect.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 5:32:24 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Speaking of big streamers...

I picked this bad boy up earlier this summer. Didn't get a chance to use it. Looks scary enough. I think it was called "Space Invader" or something like that.
UserPostedImage

The single hook is tied with mono to a string of beads that make up the body. Makes a Wooly Bugger look tame by comparison.

-Bill
kschaefer3  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 6:26:13 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I really like that one! The hook trailing back a bit really ups your percentage for hookups. Something that big, likely being stripped pretty fast and furious, can lead to a lot of misses, but that hook trailing a bit helps a ton.