Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Need A Break From Trout? Options
LenH
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:39:23 PM

brook1619
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:40:21 PM

Picked up an inch of rain today. I was hoping to get out for a weekend of trout fishing but area streams look high already. My back up plan is to fish a local lake for some giant gills, perch and crappies! The bite is hot right now!
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
Mark Dahlquist
#3 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 1:36:07 AM

Speaking of the Mississippi. Let the board know about a 28" brown caught walleye fishing near Red Wing close to the WI side. Matt Malyuk saw the photo at a bait shop.

Want to catch the biggest brown in the Midwest? Fish the mouth of trout streams that dump into big rivers like the Miss!
-Mark
Board Owner

brook1619
#4 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 2:50:27 AM

Mark Dahlquist wrote:
Want to catch the biggest brown in the Midwest? Fish the mouth of trout streams that dump into big rivers like the Miss!

Cannot agree more with this! Possibly came out of the mouth of the Trimbelle? Getting to the lower ends can often be difficult though. This reminds me a lot of my 30" walleye, it had its nose right at the mouth of a feeder on a hot August day. During the summer months, fishing the mouths of a trout stream/river can award you with some quality bass, pike, walleye, and trout. On a hot summer day, where do we want to be? In cool water, and fish are no different.
I have always believed that fishing for brook trout is a spiritual thing and that those who engage in it sooner or later are touched with its magic. -Sigurd F Olson
Mark Dahlquist
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:28:57 AM

Quote:
Cannot agree more with this! Possibly came out of the mouth of the Trimbelle? Getting to the lower ends can often be difficult though. This reminds me a lot of my 30" walleye, it had its nose right at the mouth of a feeder on a hot August day. During the summer months, fishing the mouths of a trout stream/river can award you with some quality bass, pike, walleye, and trout. On a hot summer day, where do we want to be? In cool water, and fish are no different.

You are dead on. I think as as strategy for fishing you could catch all kinds of fish.

Mouth of Cannon River trib on a hot August day. Was late afternoon too. That is the beauty is the main Cannon is turbid and the trout stream is cold and clear. The trout feel protected in the turbid water. Don't have to fish the dawn/dusk deal to fool a big brown.
-Mark
Board Owner

kngfsher
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:57:37 AM

Mark, you're spot on with the cannon river system. There are a few tributaries that dump in that have nice trout. A few of my key spots are within eye shot of the cannon.
"What do you want to fish for?"
"Trout."
"Why trout?"
"Because there's no better fish to chase!"