Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
derdmann  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 2:49:36 PM(UTC)
derdmann

Don't believe everything you hear about stream conditions. On Tuesday, July 15th at 8AM the North Fork of the Bad Axe at Newton was muddy. Visibility was only 18 inches. We found clear water to the north.
"The tug is the drug"
trapper  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 3:22:00 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
derdmann wrote:
Don't believe everything you hear about stream conditions. On Tuesday, July 15th at 8AM the North Fork of the Bad Axe at Newton was muddy. Visibility was only 18 inches. We found clear water to the north.

Agreed, there is two forks of Bad Axe- North and South
Get Reel
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:30:54 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
trapper wrote:
derdmann wrote:

Agreed, there is two forks of Bad Axe- North and South

Is there a dam or reservoir upstream on either fork of the Bad Axe that might have been releasing water?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
derdmann  
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:55:46 AM(UTC)
derdmann

yes
"The tug is the drug"
trapper  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 4:25:10 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
FYI: The south branch of the Bad axe basically starts from the overflow of Sidie Hollow Park/dam with two small feeders feeding above impoundment.

The north fork of the Bad Axe starts at the Westby sewage plant, although its piped underground for a long ways and picks up many springs above Esofea. This water flows through the Cty park at Esofea and travels down to another impoundment called Runge Hollow. Vernon Cty land and water department is supposed to keep both impoundmentS low enough as not to allow consistant overflow of hot surfaCe water going over the overflow. The bottom drain is supposed to be the primary source of water discharge from impoundments. Jersey Valley has same issues that effect West Fork. I SEE THIS IS not SUPPORTED AS IT SHOULD be. I will contact department head, who is none other than Paul Kraun-grand supporter of Trout in Vernon Cty.

Question: What have you done lately to support your favorite water in the Driftless?
Doing nothin gets you nothin...
Get Reel
Pete  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 11:52:49 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
trapper wrote:
FYI: The south branch of the Bad axe basically starts from the overflow of Sidie Hollow Park/dam with two small feeders feeding above impoundment.

The north fork of the Bad Axe starts at the Westby sewage plant, although its piped underground for a long ways and picks up many springs above Esofea. This water flows through the Cty park at Esofea and travels down to another impoundment called Runge Hollow. Vernon Cty land and water department is supposed to keep both impoundmentS low enough as not to allow consistant overflow of hot surfaCe water going over the overflow. The bottom drain is supposed to be the primary source of water discharge from impoundments. Jersey Valley has same issues that effect West Fork. I SEE THIS IS not SUPPORTED AS IT SHOULD be. I will contact department head, who is none other than Paul Kraun-grand supporter of Trout in Vernon Cty.

Question: What have you done lately to support your favorite water in the Driftless?
Doing nothin gets you nothin...

I haven't explored the impoundments much at all, but even with cold feeder creeks supplying them, they are pretty much warm water fisheries, aren't they? How deep is the bottom drain? Is there a typical temperature or range of of temps of the water drawn from the impoundments feeding the downstream creek? Thanks.
turbomike15  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 8:55:29 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

I'll be at Sidie Hollow this weekend. Looks like rain today and tomorrow, clearing up in the afternoon and nice and sunny on Sunday. I've never fished this far northwest from Madison, any hints would be appreciated. I'm not looking for specific spots, but general water systems to check out (what clears fastest, what shouldn't I waste time on, etc). PM me if you want to hotspot :)

Thanks in advance,

Mike
DanE  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 9:33:02 AM(UTC)
DanE

turbomike15 wrote:
I'll be at Sidie Hollow this weekend. Looks like rain today and tomorrow, clearing up in the afternoon and nice and sunny on Sunday. I've never fished this far northwest from Madison, any hints would be appreciated. I'm not looking for specific spots, but general water systems to check out (what clears fastest, what shouldn't I waste time on, etc). PM me if you want to hotspot :)

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Not super familiar with Sidie Hollow area, but as an example, if you find the South Fork of the Bad Axe is muddy, going up Hornby you will likely find better water quality. If lower Hornby is still dirty, head up to the upper section. If you do a little scouting in other watersheds you should find the same thing. Head upstream until you find clear water. A lot of times things will clear out fast too, what may be muddy in the morning could be fishable in the afternoon, depending on the amount and longevity of the rain.
turbomike15  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 11:05:57 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

DanE wrote:
turbomike15 wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Not super familiar with Sidie Hollow area, but as an example, if you find the South Fork of the Bad Axe is muddy, going up Hornby you will likely find better water quality. If lower Hornby is still dirty, head up to the upper section. If you do a little scouting in other watersheds you should find the same thing. Head upstream until you find clear water. A lot of times things will clear out fast too, what may be muddy in the morning could be fishable in the afternoon, depending on the amount and longevity of the rain.

Thanks for the confirmation of my game plan. South Fork/Hornby are on the list for 1 day. Haven't made a plan for sunday yet.
Confluence  
#20 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 1:20:52 PM(UTC)
Confluence

derdmann wrote:

I certainly would not consider 18 inches of visibility muddy. In fact it is about the perfect amount for streamer fishing and throwing hardware (or live bait I'd assume) on spinning gear. Nymphing with 18" of visibility is still a very viable option. So if you're reading fishing reports stating that creeks are clear to stained... 18" certainly falls in line with that.

I would take those conditions over crystal clear water any day of the week. I think a lot of trout anglers severely over-estimate how often streams in the driftless area are truly blown out and unfishable. As Turbo pointed out, even if some of the larger waterways are spewing mud, it's highly unlikely that the headwaters of these Spring Creeks are unfishable.