Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Newbie Intro / Straight River in Central MN Options
moosekid
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2014 6:17:09 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm Charlie. First time poster, long time lurker. I grew up in St. Paul and started fly fishing the Kinni when I was about 12. I'm now in my early twenties and spend just about every weekend fishing the Upper Delaware System in New York/PA (I moved to NYC when I was 18...).

The reason I'm writing is to inquire about the Straight River in central MN. I geeked out when I learned there was a wild brown trout fishery not 15 minutes from my family's cabin so naturally, I had to check it out. Last week was my vacation and I found temps on the Straight in the mid/low 70s. Slightly disappointed, I couldn't leave the region without a scouting mission so I traded the rods for a cooler of beer and pushed off one evening.

I miscalculated the distance and we ended up paddling 'til 1 AM to reach our car. Whoops. I didn't care, I witnessed a complete blizzard of an olive hatch. Heard some splashy rises, nothing too consistent. I was sure the fish were stacked out on some bubble of groundwater just cooling out and took repeated readings of the stream but read nothing in the fishable range.

I'm wondering if anyone knows when the river generally becomes un-fishable or if these wild browns can take a bit more heat than the ones we have out east?? I'd also love it if anyone could point me in the direction of someone who guides up there 'cause I could find nothing online. I plan on returning to that part of the state for the next 60 years and am now obsessing about the potential gem that's just down the street.

Apologies for this novel-length post, it's friday...Either way, nice to meet y'all -- I browse this board all the time when i'm bored at work. Anyone taking a trip out east shouldn't hesitate to ask me where the wild things are and where you need to park to get to them.

#nofilter
trippytrouter
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2014 8:43:28 AM

I fished the straight once...never again
That rock has headshakes!
trapper
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2014 3:42:19 PM

Welcome to DTA
Get Reel

Josey Wales
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2014 8:30:37 PM

Welcome, nice pics.
Mark Dahlquist
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 2:28:30 AM

Welcome Charlie. My buddy Andy caught a couple. Seen this blog yet?

http://trustlabor.com/ad...ing-a-book-by-its-cover/
-Mark
Board Owner

moosekid
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:25:58 AM

[quote=Mark Dahlquist]Welcome Charlie. My buddy Andy caught a couple. Seen this blog yet?

http://trustlabor.com/ad...ng-a-book-by-its-cover/[/quote]

Yaya, thanks!! Stumbled on his blog after I had already posted. It's very well written. There are some good bloggers on this board -- i've been stalking Eddie's blog for a while..

Thanks for the help. My sister's boyfriend is a DNR guy and he's on the case as well--we'll crack this thing eventually. Like I said before, I'm going to be returning to this part of the state for the rest of my life so there's really no other option.
EddieRivard
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 12:57:47 AM

moosekid wrote:
There are some good bloggers on this board -- i've been stalking Eddie's blog for a while..

Well I new I had at least one stalker because one day I had 5 views and then it went down to zero again. Let me know where to send the eddierivardflyfishing.com fan club t-shirt, fly assortment and nippers. ThumpUp
trapper
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 1:52:02 AM

Of course to me!!
Get Reel

minnphatts
#9 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 1:08:39 PM

If you do your homework you can definitely catch fish on the Straight in late summer, it's just a lower numbers game compared to the quality streams that most anglers are accustomed to. The Hex hatch is quite popular earlier in the summer, but many use canoes to access the better spots.

It never ceases to amaze me how underutilized many "up north" trout streams are. I asked the folks at the tackle shop a few miles away in Park Rapids about current stream conditions and simply received a blank stare, which I kind of expected. Viva la walleye!
<>< <>< Adrift <>< <><
moosekid
#10 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 10:58:53 PM

EddieRivard wrote:
moosekid wrote:
There are some good bloggers on this board -- i've been stalking Eddie's blog for a while..

Well I new I had at least one stalker because one day I had 5 views and then it went down to zero again. Let me know where to send the eddierivardflyfishing.com fan club t-shirt, fly assortment and nippers. ThumpUp

PM SENT -- I also included the last 4 digits of my social (just 4 good measure Laugh )

I'll give you guys a few straight reports next year and probably check back in next month when I get back from Maine. Big Brooks and Landlocks should start running September 9th...

Don't be shy if you're fishing NY, NJ, or PA..

-Charlie