Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dobber  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:37:00 PM(UTC)
Dobber

I've mentioned on here that I've been jonesing for smallie action most of the summer. The little 12" I caught on the pontoon a few weeks ago was nice, but not quite what I had in mind.

Fishing from the boat has presented as many skunks and frustrations as my trouting experiences (as far as catching success) but I finally got one today. High noon, Lake Mendota, full sun, in an area and depth there probably was no good reason for it to be swimming in....was actually targeting LMB under and around docks...but this one was out in the open in 3-5 FOW.

18", didn't get a weight, still swimming.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
donjuan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:56:26 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Nice work....do you fish Mendota a lot? If so what do you usually target?
Dobber  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2014 6:37:11 AM(UTC)
Dobber

I try to hit Mendota, Monona and Waubesa about equally from the toon, either with kids tubing/swimming (thus me not catching) or this summer in solo fishing trips. There's features and structure I like on all 3 but am still struggling to put fish consistently in the boat, and I'm always targeting SMB and LMB from them. Yesterday, I went to the east side of Mendota after launching from the west, and I have not spent a lot of time fishing over on that side...and I'm finding a lot of SMB over there from reports or suggestions, though there are good places that I've been finding on the western (and preferred) side of Mendota for smallies.

For me, its more about putting the time in on the water and learning patterns from the boat, preferably w/o kids along doing their recreational fun. They're getting old enough now that I am able to take off for an hour or two at a time for fishing, which is nice, and on days like yesterday when they're pre-occupied away from home I can take longer trips out. If it was going to be windy or otherwise not boating friendly yesterday, I would have found a new trout stream to explore instead.