Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Bear Creek/McCarville Creek - Tomorrow Options
GreatPyrs
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:11:11 PM

Hi Folks,

I am off to the above tomorrow at some insane hour in the am, and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where to begin my Troutbummin day? I finally figured out it is about the same amount of time as as hitting the creeks off of 18 south of the Wisconsin river. So now it is time to head a bit further north off 14 and check out areas I have driven by many a time.

Judging from alot of the past posts , seems like heading to Highway N, and fishing north from there seems to be a solid option. I am excited about the weather forecast being mostly cloudy for a change, I was in this bright sun a couple of weeks back and it was a long afternoon. If anyone has any thoughts , please let me know..

Hope everyone gets out and enjoys the last of our days this season, thanks ahead of time……or see you in Iowa soonCool

Philip
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Cmac
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:27:28 PM

Fished " improved section " of Bear earlier this year. I tried off " N " , but that improvement is too new...still working on it a month ago. Caught a few brookies, saw very little. Fished the pastured improved section up #130 and did poorly also. It looked good, I've had success there before, but fish were scarce. At Trapfest another DTA guy & I concluded it might have suffered a significant winter kill( ala BEC ). I managed only 4 browns in 2 hours and spooked very little. Bear's 180 miles from my door, add about 25-30 miles and I'm at the Blue, Big green, or into lower, eastern Crawford County and mucho better fishing ( IMHO )
Be interested to hear what you see and catch!