Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Milwaukee River Options
kschaefer3
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 10:11:36 PM

vmthtr in Green Bay wrote:
The Jim you are referring to is Jim P from Escanaba by chance?

Yes, it is.
vmthtr in Green Bay
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2014 11:36:45 PM

Kyle, your pm box is full, sent email
turbomike15
#13 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 5:50:35 PM

Anyone got info if the ice is out on the Milwaukee? I'll be in town this weekend and wouldn't mind stringing up the steelhead rod.
Jared
#14 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 6:41:07 PM

Turbo- call the Fly Fishers in West Allis if nobody local responds, they'll know.
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
Skimmer
#15 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 7:14:43 PM

Open below dam in west bend, frozen above Grafton dam. Haven't been below that in a few days. I would imagine it's almost melted but you may be a little early still
turbomike15
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:03:56 PM

Skimmer wrote:
Open below dam in west bend, frozen above Grafton dam. Haven't been below that in a few days. I would imagine it's almost melted but you may be a little early still

Thanks
zachisageek
#17 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 6:28:10 PM

I've been fishing the Menomonee by Miller Park for a week now. In 2 outtings I've had one bite (my first trout bite ever on the fly), but I didn't get a good set on him. Assuming to be a steelhead, he came up out of nowhere and hit my wooly bugger.

I have to agree with OP and kschaefer3, this trout thing has been TOUGH. But I finally feel like I'm doing something right.

kschaefer3
#18 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 6:43:59 PM

zachisageek wrote:
I've been fishing the Menomonee by Miller Park for a week now. In 2 outtings I've had one bite (my first trout bite ever on the fly), but I didn't get a good set on him. Assuming to be a steelhead, he came up out of nowhere and hit my wooly bugger.

I have to agree with OP and kschaefer3, this trout thing has been TOUGH. But I finally feel like I'm doing something right.

That's the location I used to fish a ton. For a couple weeks, you feel like you can do nothing right. Then, one day you show up, and it's like you can do nothing wrong. Fish are everywhere and seemingly excited about getting a hook in their face. I never questioned it, just enjoyed it while it lasted.
browntrout
#19 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 2:08:06 PM

I took a field trip over to Milwaukee yesterday to check things out. As suspected I was about a week early. I did see a few anglers at the mouth of Oak Creek near where it spills into Lake Michigan in South Milwaukee. I went to two local bait shops and got some advice. (A and C Live Bait and Joe's) Greg at A and C sent me down to the Hoan Bridge behind the Summerfest Grounds where I fished for a couple hours. Didn't really have the right gear - needed a bigger rod and a rod holder of some kind. There were about a dozen people fishing. They were using spawn sacks and spoons. Didn't see anything caught.

We need rain badly. I suspect it will get better after that. I usually have my best luck between the last week in March through the third week in April. Always better the day or two after a good rain but not blown out conditions.

The WDNR does a nice job updating this weekly...

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/...igan/outdoorreport.html

Mark
browntrout@aol.com
http://fishingwisconsintrout.blogspot.com/

Use a rubber net. Handle your fish carefully. More trout are killed each year by facebook photos than most anything!
TreArrow
#20 Posted : Saturday, April 04, 2015 3:45:31 AM

In case anyone's wonderin' fish are in the rivers. Saw some monsters, but only managed a smaller male.
Nonetheless pretty thrilled for my first steelhead! Definitely got the bug after this one.