Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RJ23  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 7:34:35 PM(UTC)
RJ23

While trying to decide what to do with the kids over spring break my wife suggested we go up to the Driftless and stay in a hotel with a pool (Yes..she's awesome!). We normally stay in Richland Center at the Ramada but we decided to drive up to La Crosse so they could check out this children's museum while I was out fishing.

Spent most of my time in the Viroqua area on a few of my favorite stream fishing leeches. On Tuesday I had a 17 fish day even with having to leave 2 hours before sundown. I look forward to fishing the transitional light periods so it was tough to get off of the stream to meet the family for dinner but it was time to go. Wednesday was tough with the low water and bright sun but I managed 3 before I called it a day around noon. Here are a few pics from the trip.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 6:34:47 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Nice Report RJ23!

I have always assumed that RJ must stand for Rick James and my assumption has been bolstered by this Rick James like performance. Excellent photography and trout. I was admiring your fly rod and reel but do not recognize what they are. Can you enlighten us to your choice of rod and reel? Are you dead drifting your leeches or letting them sink and stripping them along the bottom? I always like to know how other people do things.

ThumpUp
MNFishhunter  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 7:07:23 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

From the pic, the rod looks like a Scott F2 7 ft 3 wgt (the current version of Scott's glass rods) and a Cortland Retro 1 reel (now discontinued).
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 7:28:17 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
EddieRivard wrote:

I have always assumed that RJ must stand for Rick James and my assumption has been bolstered by this Rick James like performance.

I'm Rick James snitch!

Edited by moderator Sunday, April 5, 2015 7:30:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
RJ23  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 8:20:24 PM(UTC)
RJ23

EddieRivard wrote:
Nice Report RJ23!

I have always assumed that RJ must stand for Rick James and my assumption has been bolstered by this Rick James like performance. Excellent photography and trout. I was admiring your fly rod and reel but do not recognize what they are. Can you enlighten us to your choice of rod and reel? Are you dead drifting your leeches or letting them sink and stripping them along the bottom? I always like to know how other people do things.

ThumpUp

MNFishhunter is correct. It's a Scott F2 703 with a Cortland Retro reel. Picked the rod up on Tuesday from Mat over at DA.

As for my technique, nothing special, I do just about everything. Dead drift and let it sink and strip, but I prefer to fish it almost like a dry. When place right a long an undercut bank or an improvement the fish will attack quickly (normally 1-2 seconds after it hits the water) and I set the hook visually (If that makes sense).