Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trouts  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:24:57 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations! Lots of rods mentioned that I expected, and several I did not. I will have to try to find a place to cast a whole slew of these and make my decision.

Anyone cast the Orvis Recon? I like that price point a lot more than $775 and have read some stellar reviews.

Trap - You sure you don't want to give me that Abel? BigGrin That's what I would be looking to put on this anyway.

Bill - Certainly too many options, not enough money, or time. Wiggling a rod in a store can only tell you so much, although more than some may think. From there I like to lawn cast them. Any place that will not line up a rod and let me cast it doesn't get my business. It would be nice to actually fish a few of the rods I liked best, but that is not likely to happen. I have been close to buying several rods, but always have trouble spending the money because I never NEED one. Luckily my tax return and bonus are right around the corner. I've sort of been budgeting a portion of each for a rod. BigGrin

Trouts - In your opinion, how do the Boron III rods line up against the GVX? Winston was/is high on my list as a dry fly rod. I am just curious if the extra $200-300 for the BIII series is worth it. I have been told to look into older Winston rods as well. I am a little more wary of buying used rods, as I don't have the knowledge that some folks do on pricing and quality and what not.

For those who fish the GVX, what line do you use? I considered one for my 5 wt, but it felt weak. I was casting it with a GPX though, so that may have been the issue. I think it would have been much crisper and snappier with a standard SA Trout taper. It was certainly delicate and for a 4 wt, I don't demand the power that I do out of my 5 wt.

Kyle,

The GVX and the Boron III's supposedly have the same tapers. I have only given the GVX a shake in the fly shop and they seem like good rods. Considering they are on clearance now, they would be a great buy for the money. If you are looking at vintage rods then there are many options, but most will be on the medium side action wise. T&T Paradigm's, Winston WT's, the old unsanded Orvis superfine series, and Sage LL's just to name a few.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
scottybs  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:48:41 PM(UTC)
scottybs

kschaefer3 wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations! Lots of rods mentioned that I expected, and several I did not. I will have to try to find a place to cast a whole slew of these and make my decision.

Anyone cast the Orvis Recon? I like that price point a lot more than $775 and have read some stellar reviews.

Trap - You sure you don't want to give me that Abel? BigGrin That's what I would be looking to put on this anyway.

Bill - Certainly too many options, not enough money, or time. Wiggling a rod in a store can only tell you so much, although more than some may think. From there I like to lawn cast them. Any place that will not line up a rod and let me cast it doesn't get my business. It would be nice to actually fish a few of the rods I liked best, but that is not likely to happen. I have been close to buying several rods, but always have trouble spending the money because I never NEED one. Luckily my tax return and bonus are right around the corner. I've sort of been budgeting a portion of each for a rod. BigGrin

Trouts - In your opinion, how do the Boron III rods line up against the GVX? Winston was/is high on my list as a dry fly rod. I am just curious if the extra $200-300 for the BIII series is worth it. I have been told to look into older Winston rods as well. I am a little more wary of buying used rods, as I don't have the knowledge that some folks do on pricing and quality and what not.

For those who fish the GVX, what line do you use? I considered one for my 5 wt, but it felt weak. I was casting it with a GPX though, so that may have been the issue. I think it would have been much crisper and snappier with a standard SA Trout taper. It was certainly delicate and for a 4 wt, I don't demand the power that I do out of my 5 wt.

I have a 490 GVX, the Select is the same blank just a nicer reel seat, I believe they use the BiiX not the 3 tapers. In terms of fly line, I'm using a higher end Orvis line that I got on clearance, casts like a gem. I definitely would not jump for a GPX or Grand, the rod has some flex to it and is a joy to work. I also have a 690 GVX Select, though I have not taken it out yet. I would love to get my hands on a 590 configuration as well, but I already have too many rods. I'm sure it would cast a GPX, but I think you're right, a Trout taper would definitely throw nicer. Anyway you go, I think you'll love a GVX.

Just my $.02
RJ23  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 7:03:47 AM(UTC)
RJ23

I have a 8'6 4wt. GVX with the SA Trout Stalker line on a Cortland Retro I reel. It's a great all around rod. I do prefer using it when I am fishing nymphs or streamers. My dry fly rod is a 8'4 Scott G2 with the Airflo SuperDri Elite (The line a lot of you recommend on this board). Not sure if it's the line or not but on the GVX the dry flies just seem to come in hot. My fishing buddy has a much more aggressive casting style than myself and the GVX seems to suit him better.
gach0505  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:37:06 PM(UTC)
gach0505

kschaefer3 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a 4 wt this year (read: I'll almost certainly get a 4 wt this year). I'm thinking 8-8.5 ft. It will be a dry fly rod almost exclusively. My casting stroke is somewhat aggressive, so I tend to favor a med fast-fast action rod, but still want a soft tip for protecting tippet.

I am looking for as many suggestions as you can lay on me (because I like information and the board has been dead lately). Because of this, let's assume money is not a factor, I don't care what type of material it is made from and I don't care where the rod is made or who made it.

Given the above, what rod would you get? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I was hunting for a 4 wt for a long time myself. I finally went with a Beulah Platinum 8'8" 4 wt. Beautiful rod, casts like butter. Feels like a $700 rod, yet they go for $395.

http://www.beulahflyrods...latinum-single-hand-4wt/

The closest dealer is a guy in Big Bend, Wi.,.....

http://www.just-reels.com/FSGear.htm

He's a little old fashioned as I ordered it over the phone, but he got it out to me that day and I received it two days later.

I love my Beulah!!!
dave j  
#25 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:12:28 AM(UTC)
dave j

Kyle, I have a new Orvis Recon in a 9ft. 5wt. I fished it three days last weekend and it was great. High end rod without the high end price. I think the 8 1/2 ft. 4wt. would cast and preform just as well.

Dave
Cmac  
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:24:56 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Sage Z-axis 4w 8'.6" high-end at one time...why is it I always buy the top of the market???? Anyway, light, super fast, like a bazooka, for my stroke needed to overline with 5w so it would load in shorter cast distances... now probably quite reasonable if you can find one.
kschaefer3  
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:35:37 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Thanks for all the replies! It's really hard to get rods in your hand living in this part of the country, and I won't buy a rod I haven't cast first. I ended up going with the 8'6" 4 wt Winston Nexus. Really smooth rod, but still plenty fast and powerful. It felt like exactly what I wanted in my 4 wt. Now, to find some risers to cast over...
trippytrouter  
#28 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:00:18 PM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

My 9' 4wt BIIIX can cast a 10' t-20 sink tip and a size 2 Ryan frick streamer pretty damn good. Shebs remembers that day
That rock has headshakes!