Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lombard  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 8:11:32 AM(UTC)
lombard

I have long been told that water temps need to be at least 45 degrees for trout to begin feeding. With the warm weather we have had I am assuming that most streams have warmed up to this threshold. My dilemma is that my first trip up to the driftless will be this Wednesday and Thursday. The forecast for Richland and Crawford counties call for a low of 26 degrees overnight getting up to about 50 degrees during the day. I know temps vary from stream to stream but in general do you think most streams will be at or above the 45 degrees? I do carry a thermometer with me so I can check temps throughout the day. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
TreArrow  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 9:42:01 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

Since most of our driftless streams are fed by springs, temps won't drop too much unless there is a lot of snow melt. Headwaters are the most thermally stable because often times 100% of their flow is groundwater. If the main stems of a river is too cold (or too warm), try moving upstream to a tributary. I think you won't have too much trouble finding warm water this week. Trout will feed at temps below 45, its just that there metabolism fluctuates with water temps, so if fishing colder water slow your presentation down.
Cmac  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 10:31:37 AM(UTC)
Cmac

Friend reported W.F. Kickapoo temps yesterday- 51 with slow rise to 52....He caught 22 trout in 2 hours on a #9 PM silver....no short hits, fish were happy & hungry. This cold snap shouldn't cool off stream that much. I'm up fishing Thursday-Sunday, camping WFSC ( trailer w/ a heater Cool . Biggest issue we'll probably have will be the sun...hoping for clouds and even some drizzle as long as it's not freezing. Reports from further south, ( Grant County ), spotty caddis hatches mid-afternoons, some tan #16, and some black, very small #20-22...... that's a bit too small for these tired old eyes.