Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PrettyFlyWIGuy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 6:04:05 AM(UTC)
PrettyFlyWIGuy

Man

I was able to sneak out after work yesterday for a few hours of fishing. My targeted stream is an stock-free watershed with good natural reproduction. The resident trout population sees a fair amount of pressure, and the fish have proved smarter than me once before in the past. I left the office at 3:45 and was wading by 5. There wasn't much of a hatch to speak of, but I noticed a couple of rises, so I decided I would commit to catching my first fish on the dry fly for the season.

Without a hatch to match, I started with a size 14 elk hair caddis and found a few willing takers almost immediately. I picked about five of these little guys off just below riffled sections.

UserPostedImage

I eventually switched to a fly with a little bigger profile--size 12, light hendrickson. It soon elicited response from a couple larger browns.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The second fish was 12" with some brilliant colors. He was quite the prize after releasing little fries all afternoon. At about 7:45 the fish totally shut off, much to my dismay. I stuck to various dry fly patterns without any more takes and I stopped seeing rises. But, it was nice to steal a trip after work. It's rewarding to have any kind of luck on this stream for me.

Do you guys switch presentations as sun sets? Is it normal for dry fly action to drop off when the sun dips below the bluffs?
Sponsor