Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:27:23 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
started about noon on the south fork of the bad axe. tossing big space invaders. a few turned and only one caught, right up in a fast riffle. crazy to see how much my favorite spot has changed in two years from flooding.

there used to be an oxbow curve in the stream that was one 200 yard long run/hole. the stream cut through about 10 feet of soil and now bypasses this section.(well 90% of the flow) the new hole is right below the riffle which is where the bank used to be. of course I snag a root overhanging it while casting downstream into the pool. the stream here is flowing like mad and the hole has to be 6 feet deep. I'm creeping down the rapids to the edge of the drop off trying to unhook my streamer. I reach in elbow deep, my face inches from the water. just as the streamer pops free a 4 foot long snake shoots out from the water. I literally touched it. I yelled many things I can't repeat here.

went north at 1:30. not much hatch activity except for a few microscopic mayflies. the wind was raging and the clouds were alternating with bright sun every 3 minutes. I tied on a big fat crackleback caddis for the heck of it and wouldn't you know I start getting 3 or 4 fish out of every fast run and end of riffle. big fat 12" and 13" fish slamming the caddis with abandon. almost like terrestrial fishing. it was awesome. there'd be no fish hitting the surface, just had to cast to where you thought they'd be. had 18 fish in about 3 hours of fishing this section.

soon as the weather started moving in the fish shut off about 4pm. sorry no pics. I'm trying to buy a house and can't replace my broken one til I'm moved in
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:08:45 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Fish on and on brother Seth.
Enjoy your new house with the view of the Mississippi River- a true Big River Bum.

U rock!

ThumpUp

I am DTA
Get Reel
donjuan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 6:59:18 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Laugh Def had me laughing at your description of the snake incident...hehehe.

Cool that you got into some aggressive fish after that. Nice work. I've read about it enough to want to try it but never fished the Bad Axe system.
big_river_bum  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2015 5:18:41 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
thank trap

don juan, there's plenty of big water on it like I see you fish in iowa. not much for easements though