Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Fort McCoy Options
SOLOtrout
#1 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 1:38:37 PM

I will be at Fort McCoy for the entire month of June for NCO Academy Training, which I assume will allow me a couple of hours on the weekends to sneak out and cast a fly to some trout. Are there any fly shops in the Sparta/Tomah area? What areas are worth a try in the area. Has anyone ever fished the streams on base?
William Schlafer
#2 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 3:03:24 PM

I've never fished it, but the barrens area around Fort McCoy is supposed to have some Trout water, but you need a permit to access the area. Lots of unexploded ordnance near the old bombing range, so watch the signage and don't pick up anything metal.

WDNR Trout stream map here.

Good luck! Let us know if you fish the area. There are also tons of excellent Trout streams just a short drive south in Vernon county.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
derdmann
#3 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 8:59:58 PM

John Noble, fisheries biologist for the base, can give the information you are looking for. 608-388-5796.
"The tug is the drug"
inland sweep
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:11:58 AM

I've fished there a few times. Always had a blast fishing the rainbows in the ponds on the base. Caught a couple over 20 inches. The streams are also pretty good. The base is right on the edge of the driftless so creeks on the eastern boarder of the property will reassemble sand country streams. The ponds also have bass, panfish and pike. Beautiful land there!