Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 7:29:55 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Decided to get out for a few hours today to do a little fishing and some morel hunting. Wandered around in the woods near one of my favorite (public land) streams, but I don't really know what I'm doing BigGrin so I failed to find any morels. But it was a great day to be out, and I did manage to catch a couple of nice fish. Water levels seemed to be up a bit from the frighteningly low levels in April, and the recent rains added a nice stain to the water ThumpUp

Got the skunk off fairly quickly after this 16 incher came out from under a submerged log to slam my panther martin:
UserPostedImage

Continued fishing with only a couple of follows for the next 4 hours. The fish seemed to be keyed in on some kind of hatch, as there were swarms of tiny bugs all over the water. Saw quite a few fish sitting in the runs munching on emergers, I assume, but very few rises. A lot of fish completely ignored my spinners without so much as flinching (or spooking) despite multiple passes. Not sure what they were eating, but the smaller fish wanted nothing to do with what I was throwing. Seemed like only the big boys had any interest in bigger quarry, as most of my follows were 14-16+ range fish.
Then I came to this glorious pool, where the stream splits around an island and comes down a riffle to dig out a nice deep pool next to the rock wall:
UserPostedImage

Managed to pull a nice fish with a bit of kype out of there. Taped just a hair shy of 18.

UserPostedImage

That will have to hold me over til next weekend, when I'll be headed down to Lanesboro so my girlfriend can jam out at the Bovee&Heil Bluff Country Gathering and I get to do some more fishing Woot

Edited by user Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:00:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Sponsor
trippytrouter  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 9:08:32 PM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

I love that river...and that pool
That rock has headshakes!
shebs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 9:16:00 PM(UTC)
shebs

trippytrouter wrote:
I love that river...and that pool

It's a great stream, for sure. Lower numbers, but bigger average size. Saw a lot of fry in the shallow flats today, and they're getting big enough that you can see the spots and clearly tell that they are trout. Last fall's spawn was successful ThumpUp
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
DanE  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 7:39:56 AM(UTC)
DanE

Nice report and great pix! If you show me that spot at Troutstock, I promise to keep it a secret. Wink

Edited by moderator Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:39:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:53:20 AM(UTC)
shebs

DanE wrote:
Nice report and great pix! If you show me that spot at Troutfest, I promise to keep it a secret. Wink

It's a pretty poorly kept secret LOL but you'll need an MN license
kinni  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 6:49:29 PM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the great report. Congrats on some nice looking fish!
EddieRivard  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:15:15 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Shebs, The trout you caught that was just shy of 18" was the same trout I caught back at the end of January. Back then he was only sixteen inches. I knew I recognized that son of a gun. He has been eating well! ThumpUp

Here are the photos side by side.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:16:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:59:52 PM(UTC)
shebs

EddieRivard wrote:
Shebs, The trout you caught that was just shy of 18" was the same trout I caught back at the end of January. Back then he was only sixteen inches. I knew I recognized that son of a gun. He has been eating well! ThumpUp

Whoa! Woot I think you're right! The double spot behind the gill plate looks like a match. Was it from that same hole in my photo? I'd be willing to guess a big male wouldn't leave such a prime spot.
EddieRivard  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 9:10:22 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
shebs wrote:
EddieRivard wrote:

Whoa! Woot I think you're right! The double spot behind the gill plate looks like a match. Was it from that same hole in my photo? I'd be willing to guess a big male wouldn't leave such a prime spot.

Yeah same exact spot pretty much. I am going to have to cut you off if you keep harassing my trout.
donjuan  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 8:00:30 PM(UTC)
donjuan

Really pretty fish and VERY COOL on matching the photos. Catch and release in action!