Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:36:07 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Been doing a lot more fishing than posting lately but I wanted to share a report from today. I cut out of work a little early today to do a little fishing. I hit up a spot that's closer to work than home so I don't get to fish it often. Temperatures were in the high 50's and the skies were cloudy, rainy, and windy. I arrived on stream at 3pm and fished until 5. The water was cold, clean, and clouded only in the deepest pools. I spooked a lot of fish but conditions were better today than they've been over the last few weeks.
UserPostedImage
Upon arrival I spotted a nice fish rising to midges or maybe a few spare caddis in a current seam. I tied on a skittering caddis and delivered it a few feet above the trout. He ignored it and I threw a few more casts before the water erupted with a "thuuck!" I set the hook and pulled my fly right out of his mouth and into the weeds behind me. I frustratedly tied on a Pink Squirrel of Prey and began probing the depths.
UserPostedImage
This guy was the biggest of the 18-20 fish that came to hand today. I hooked into one really nice fish but he immediately pulled me into some submerged brush like he knew what he was doing. The three weight was no match for his wits. Surface activities was minimal so I didn't return to fishing dry flies. Most fish came from faster water. The fish that came from deeper pools would only "mouth" the flies and would turn when I'd set the hook. I turned a few nicer fish but the hook wouldn't stick.

Check out my blog- www.mndriftlessflyfishing.blogspot.com for more pictures and reports from the last few weeks and good luck out there!
Sponsor
trippytrouter  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:08:18 PM(UTC)
trippytrouter

Man

That's a nice little creek. One of the only golf courses I'll fish
That rock has headshakes!