Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MNTrout68  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 8:04:58 AM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Fished from dawn 'til about 2:00 on a very pretty stream in Winona County on Saturday, May 16th. Absolute skunkfest. I saw a lot of fish, like dozens, but they were mostly just holding very still on the bottom. Tried every pattern and presentation I could think of. By the end of the day I was bouncing nymphs off their noses and couldn't even get a sniff. The 4-5 times I saw rises, I couldn't interest them in anything on the surface either.

It was one of the first hot, muggy days of the year and the sun was out most of the time, and the water was very clear, so conditions were maybe not ideal. A couple of guys fishing with worms said they couldn't get anything to bite either, so I don't think it was just me...

Any thoughts on why the trout were on strike?
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 9:26:44 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
MNTrout68 wrote:
Fished from dawn 'til about 2:00 on a very pretty stream in Winona County on Saturday, May 16th. Absolute skunkfest. I saw a lot of fish, like dozens, but they were mostly just holding very still on the bottom. Tried every pattern and presentation I could think of. By the end of the day I was bouncing nymphs off their noses and couldn't even get a sniff. The 4-5 times I saw rises, I couldn't interest them in anything on the surface either.

It was one of the first hot, muggy days of the year and the sun was out most of the time, and the water was very clear, so conditions were maybe not ideal. A couple of guys fishing with worms said they couldn't get anything to bite either, so I don't think it was just me...

Any thoughts on why the trout were on strike?

I had the opposite experience on Saturday - though I was down in Fillmore near Lanesboro. There was a nice steady rain on Thursday which put a decent stain on the streams (except for the small brookie creeks, which were unbelievably clear and impossible to fish without spooking them with every cast). Friday there was a crazy caddis hatch and the fish were in a frenzy - I had a 50 fish day with spinners! Maybe they were all in post-Thanksgiving mode after Friday, slumped on the couch with the button open on their jeans LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
MNTrout68  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 10:19:17 AM(UTC)
MNTrout68

That's exactly what they were acting like! Fat and happy, snoozing after a huge meal. Is there a lot of tryptophan in caddis flies? That's the excuse I'm going to go with.
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 11:03:07 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hot, muggy days are the worst of all to fish. If you're out much after 10 AM, good luck. I remember a day last year with 2 fish between Drew and I during hot, humid weather. After 10 AM not even a tap. Days like that, find a shaded section of stream...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 11:50:59 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
MNTrout68 wrote:
Fished from dawn 'til about 2:00 on a very pretty stream in Winona County on Saturday, May 16th. Absolute skunkfest.

I know a guy who will want to switch streams after about 20 minutes of not catching fish. My threshold is closer to 2 hours. I'm guessing you've had great success there in the past. Seven hours is a long time to go fishless. Sad
shebs  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 12:51:24 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
Hot, muggy days are the worst of all to fish. If you're out much after 10 AM, good luck. I remember a day last year with 2 fish between Drew and I during hot, humid weather. After 10 AM not even a tap. Days like that, find a shaded section of stream...

Now that I think about it, that's exactly what I was doing on Saturday...I was fishing a stream that had banks higher than the stream was wide (8-10 ft in most places, and steep enough that getting in and out was a challenge), and ran through a pretty heavily forested area...even at noon the sun barely hit the water. Probably helped that the water was very stained (maybe 2 feet visibility) too. And this wasn't even on purpose, I was just exploring new water. Better to be lucky that good some days.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
MN Mountain Man  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 7:46:30 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I got out on Saturday on a three streams in Winona County and had a pretty decent day of fishing on all of 'em. I've had great luck on hot, muggy days on all types of water. I was sneaking up to the stream and bouncing a heavy tungsten beaded fly on the bottom. Lots of fish were bumping the fly or mouthing it without committing to the take. Most of the two dozen or so I caught were hooked on the very tip of their snouts. Sometimes a finer and longer tippet is necessary and if you're not the first to fish through they may have been extra spooked. Were these fish spooking when you approached? Were you the first one to fish through the area? Sometimes a stream is just down whether it's from fishing pressure, weather patterns, etc.
MNTrout68  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:37:37 AM(UTC)
MNTrout68

I was the first one through, and I definitely spooked a lot of fish. I guess I need to work on stealth. This was also my first time visiting this particular stream, which is why I spent so much time there. Against such a beautiful backdrop, I'm pretty happy to slowly work my way along the water, noting good spots to visit next time when hopefully the fish are not so picky.

Edited by moderator Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:38:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

moosekid  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:28:47 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You sure they were trout?? Pods of lifeless fish hugging the streambed sounds like an accurate description of suckers...