Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
avillesmuggler  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2015 6:29:02 PM(UTC)
avillesmuggler

Wife and I will be staying at a home close to Black Falls with private access on Robinson Creek over Memorial Day. Not sure if this will produce or not but the place look wonderful. We usually stay in Vernon county but wanted to mix it up, and this place will be great for the baby.

Doing some research, I was thinking of checking out two other areas:

http://dnr.wi.gov/maps/FM/WCR/2525tankcreek.pdf
http://dnr.wi.gov/maps/F...0nbrtrempealeauriver.pdf

A little weary of my past attempts in other areas of Wisconsin though.... Driving around and not really finding these places. For example, the Parking Areas designated on the maps are not obvious from looking at google maps. Given that we have a 9-month old, I won't have a ton of time to experiment here. Any tips for this area?
DanE  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 6:22:05 AM(UTC)
DanE

Not much help to you on that area. Welcome to the board though! ThumpUp
Pete  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 8:15:27 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Welcome to the board.

I've dabbled in fishing in Jackson Co. I had much more success in my first attempt than in more recent ones. I don't think it was beginner's luck: I think the brutal winter of 13/14 took a toll on some fish populations. Some streams were also hit hard by the summer heat and drought a couple of years ago.

There are still fish to be found. Mostly brook trout with a few browns here and there. The ones you mentioned, North Branch of the Trempealeau and Tank produced for me. Tank was all small brookies, but there were good numbers of them and they were willing. Good access to be found on the North Branch. I'd take a look at the South Branch too, although it didn't fish nearly as well (for me anyway) last year. The main branch of the Trempealeau has a good reputation, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I found walking tough on just about all the local streams: it's marshy in a lot of places and there is jungle-like vegetation later in the season. Memorial Day weekend you might be able to do more hiking than I could in July and August. If not, run-and-gun fishing the bridges is productive.

I know you said you don't have much time, but taking the family for a picnic on the Black River could open up some fishing time for you-consolidate tasks. It's a beautiful body of water. There is a park south of Black River Falls and you could sneak in some fishing while the family goes for a walk in a stroller. I saw a small muskie in the river and it's supposed to hold some nice smallies and walleyes too. And you won't mind if the fish don't cooperate because of the great scenery.
avillesmuggler  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 8:25:47 PM(UTC)
avillesmuggler

Just got back.

Robinson creek was absolutely beautiful. Fished it quite hard 2-3 times a day all weekend. Caught two fish total, both in same spot with a black wooly bugger (tried everything else too). Got a pic of one (brown).

Stopped by Tank Creek on way home. Didn't get out as it looked marshy and narrow. Probably could have hiked but had family in car and didn't think that was a good idea :-). Was on way to North Branch Trempealeau River but drove by the South Branch on the way, and it looked fishy (see pick of stream) with a good spot to park, so I stopped there. Water slow, muddy and weedy, but still not bad. Caught a small brookie on black wooly bugger again after no luck with two different dry/dropper rigs. This fish was beautiful. Pic does not do it justice. Called it a day after that, as we had a long drive back home.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_0662.JPG (525kb) downloaded 141 time(s).
IMG_0670.JPG (362kb) downloaded 142 time(s).
IMG_0669.JPG (213kb) downloaded 143 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
avillesmuggler  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 8:32:23 PM(UTC)
avillesmuggler

Woah. Sorry for the picture size.
dharleyd  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:33:30 AM(UTC)
dharleyd

Did you fish below the bridge on county road I.
avillesmuggler  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:44:04 PM(UTC)
avillesmuggler

Nope. But I'm guessing maybe I should?