Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2015 6:55:32 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

UserPostedImage
Yesterday AM I finished up a new fly rod build, a 8 foot 5 weight built to replace my 5 wt Okuma. After a bunch of housework I took her out to a stream within 10 minutes from home. Water levels were high and visibility sucked. I dredged deep and was rewarded with a few snap offs and a few decent little trout.
UserPostedImage
After a good number of little fish and a lot of walking I reached some cleaner water. The trout were skiddish but willing.
UserPostedImage
I managed to catch a few on a Black CDC Caddis including the one pictured above. I snapped off on two really nice fish when they pulled me into an undercut. They may not have been huge but these Driftless brownies can sure put up a fight! I decided that I like the new rod but I would have preferred it in a 4 weight. It seems to have just a little to much backbone to finesse these wiley brownies out of the depths, but it can cast a mile...

Check out my blog for a more detailed report and some more pics.
Sponsor
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:42:25 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Beautiful fish. Beautiful rod.

BTW, how do you fish Black CDC Caddis?
MN Mountain Man  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:10:14 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I fished the black caddis in the surface film. Today I got out on another creek and there was a full on caddis hatch. Only the stocker bows appeared to be keyed in on them. An hour or so later March Browns and Baetis began coming off in good numbers and the bigger fish started looking up.
UserPostedImage
Tonight they fell for a Blackish Brown Comparadun pattern in size 18 and an Orangeish CDC Baetis Emerger in size 20. I missed more fish than I caught and ended the evening with around 30 to hand. Most were pretty small...