Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Brule in Mid-Summer Options
shebs
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:58:48 PM

I'm gonna be camping up in Brule River State Forest this weekend - anyone have any advice for where/how to fish in the middle of summer? I've only ever been up there in the fall, and I have a feeling it's gonna be a bit of a different ball game late June vs. October. Any tips, tricks, spots, or ideas appreciated BigGrin
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
kschaefer3
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:30:17 AM

shebs wrote:
I'm gonna be camping up in Brule River State Forest this weekend - anyone have any advice for where/how to fish in the middle of summer? I've only ever been up there in the fall, and I have a feeling it's gonna be a bit of a different ball game late June vs. October. Any tips, tricks, spots, or ideas appreciated BigGrin

I'll message you. You're looking for resident trout, correct?
shebs
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:08:07 AM

kschaefer3 wrote:
shebs wrote:

I'll message you. You're looking for resident trout, correct?

Generally, yes. I can't imagine there is much else this time of year - too early for salmon runs, isn't it? Worst case, I'm hunting brookies in the headwaters, but I'm sure there are some good streams up there for resident browns as well.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Skimmer
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:51:12 PM

Was just fishing trout streams in Vilas county last couple of days. The little brookies were hungry for little nymphs. Further downstream the browns were drunk on Hex mayflies....slamming them hard on top. An absolute blast! Good luck man.
DimondViper
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:19:00 PM

Heading up there for a day canoe trip over the 4th.

We are putting in on the upper Brule in hopes of finding some brookies.
TreArrow
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:58:56 PM

There are lots of trout above US 2, imho a canoe will really help you get access to them. There is a lot of private shoreline and the few areas with good access can be hard to wade. You might want to rent one from http://brulerivercanoerental.com/ if you don't own one.