Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:27:57 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

I'm ging to be in Reedsberg for a baseball tournament this weekend. Is it worth bringing a fishing rod? Anything within a 20 mile radius as far as trout go? Not to familiar with the area. Any help appreciated.
s.t.fanatic  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:28:04 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Anybody ever try narrows or seeley creek?
DanE  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:28:36 AM(UTC)
DanE

IMO, your best bet would be Dell Creek, which is about 10 minutes east. I have not fished it this year, or this late in the year in past seasons, so not sure how it will fish. Sandy bottom stream with some decent corner holes, etc, not a classic rock bottom with riffles. There is a large tract of public land off of South Ave.I have walked in downstream (south) and fished it back up from there. There is more public land further north which I have not fished. Not sure of the bottom composition up there. Small jigs have fished well there in the past. I have not fly fished it yet, but I would assume terrestrials would work well.

Hay Creek is just on the west edge of Reedsburg. I have not fished it, and have not heard anything about it. Sleeper, or just not worth fishing? Will leave that up to you or other to comment if they have experience.

Hulbert Creek is up by the Dells, but have heard it is skinny and tough to fish, especially this time of year.

Honey Creek is about 20 minutes south, but is narrow and will be tough to fish with the streamside vegetation this time of year.

Bear Creek is west of Honey Creek, lots of improvements but didn't fish well last year due to low numbers from the tough winter and drought from 2 prior seasons. Have not fished it this season, not sure if it has rebounded or not.

Willow Creek is just over 20 miles, probably about a 30 minute drive. That can fish really well on the right day and right section, but does get some pressure, especially early in the season. Lots of public water, downstream portions are sandy and/or muck bottom, upstream a mix with more classic rock, riffle, pool and some slower muddy holes.
DanE  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:33:26 AM(UTC)
DanE

I have not fished Narrows recently, warmer water managed for smallmouth. Some public access with some HI work done.

Seeley is tough as it is all private, keep your feet wet. Sandy/Muddy at the lower reaches where there are more access points. Met one landowner and he was decent, but wanted me to check in every time as he may be out shooting his guns. Upper reaches are high gradient, pretty water, but was devoid of fish this spring when FryingPan and I fished it. Access is very tough up there, I had permission from a landowner, so we hiked in and worked back up. Not going back anytime soon though with what we saw.
sauktrouter  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:28:32 PM(UTC)
sauktrouter

Good advice from DanE.

If you are limited on time, I'd hit the pasture of Willow Creek just south of Loyd.

Agree on Bear Creek - potential there but can't catch much in the improved sections. Much better luck bush whacking that stream.

Again - Agree with Dan - Seeley Creek is an awesome looking stream in the upper reaches. I've heard it was a great trout stream many years ago - maybe could be again with a little TLC.

Kev  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 5:20:57 AM(UTC)
Kev

Man

Nice little write up Dan
I will store this info away for future use. ThumpUp

You can study hard, get straight As, go to an ivy league school, become a doctor, a physicist, a billionaire investor… You can work out, run triathlons, be an olympian, have six pack abs… BUT if you don’t use your brains and your body to become a better fly fisher, none of that other junk matters. Snap It!