Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorminNorman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:37:24 AM(UTC)
StorminNorman

Heading up to Door County this coming weekend with the GF and I was told I could fish (oh yeah!). I really want to try fishing the flats on the lake michigan side of the peninsula. Has anyone ever tried this before? It sounds like there are some amazing sight fishing opportunities for smallies. I'll be using an 8wt and probably throw some clouser's, deceivers and poppers. If anyone has any tips/suggestions they would be appreciated!

- Norm
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:51:14 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Spot fishing to smallies up there is more of a pre/post spawn type deal as I understand it. Someone please correct me if I'm talking out my backside.

Carp, however, should be heating up on the flats...
StorminNorman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:55:26 AM(UTC)
StorminNorman

Yeah, I was worried about being too late. Smallies are probably out deeper by now?
DanE  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:26:29 AM(UTC)
DanE

I would guess there may be a few scattered smallies yet based on here say from people that fish up there. Based on my research (and observations when I was up there prior to my fly fishing days) this is absolutely prime time for carp. Moonlight Bay and North Bay are both areas that I hope to hit sometime in the next year or 2 if I ever get time to go up there for a weekend or longer. Rowley Bay and Newport State Park are also areas I would scout. If you do go up, make sure to stop at Joe Jo's Pizza and Gelato for some great pizza and say hi to my uncle Dick for me. (shameless plug for my aunt and uncles restaurant)ThumpUp
StorminNorman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:46:12 AM(UTC)
StorminNorman

Thanks, I'll be sure to stop in at the pizza place! I'm def looking to target smallies, but I have no issues with carp either. I'll have to tie up some goofy looking carp flies just in case! Newport State Park is where I was thinking of going first - looks like easy parking and walking distance to fishing spots. I've never fished a great lake before, so I'm excited to check it out! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

- Norm
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:39:41 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We catch smallies all summer on Lake MI in Fairport. Tip of Garden Peninsula that points at Washington Island, so not far away. We cast spinners off the dock into the Big Bay de Noc. Fairport
StorminNorman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:52:31 PM(UTC)
StorminNorman

That's encouraging to hear! Hopefully I can get into a few this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
StorminNorman  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 11:53:17 AM(UTC)
StorminNorman

So I made it up to Newport State Park Saturday morning around 9 with the lady. We hiked along shore for a ways - it's very pretty up there - until we found a good spot she could set up her chair and hang out while I fished. Flats looked awesome, about 3-6 ft deep with a great rocky bottom and crystal clear water. I saw a couple 10-12" smallies right away and thought I might have a good day. Threw every streamer and popper I had in the box without a bite. Saw one really big carp about 30ft from me, but couldnt get a carp fly on in time.

I think Kyle was right, I missed the smally action by a month or two. I could see that area being packed when they are spawning. I'll have to try it again next year an little earlier.