Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gerrber  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:23:16 AM(UTC)
Gerrber

Hey all, I was wondering if you fine folks could recommend any backwaters or lakes that you guys fish carp for on the fly. Cant say I ever saw myself posting on a message board for the "Hot carp fishing spots" ohh how the times have changed. With the hot weather coming up along with the summer bank vegetation in full swing I was hoping just to avoid slogging through brush and sight fish for some rough fish. I wont have access to a float tube or boat so shore access is pretty key. I'd like something in the south/east metro but I'm willing to travel 30 minutes or so from St.Paul.

Not sure how many people on this board fish for carp but they seem like a challenge, and I don't have to drive down to the driftless area to fill my fishing addiction. If you have any tips, such as flies you guys use, they would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2015 8:45:34 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I don't do as much carp fishing as I used to. Being close to lakes and ponds with a lot of largemouths and bluegill and a river with smallies are just too distracting. I used to have success with nymph patterns-the usual pheasant tails, hare's ear and Teeny nymphs-dropped close enough for the carp to see it sink to the bottom. I was stuck in a waiting room yesterday and picked up a recent issue of Field and Stream: they had an article about mulberry flies for carp. That could be more fun than dredging bottom with nymphs: watching a carp come up to eat a mulberry fly floating or stuck in the surface film would be a thrill.
Gerrber  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2015 6:52:00 PM(UTC)
Gerrber

Thanks for the input. I was out in western minnesota for work recently and saw dozens of them with their mouths up to the surface sucking down what looked like cottonwood seeds. Seemed like an easy thing to replicate, not to mention they all looked to be 10 plus pounds. Next time I have a free minute I'll have to check out some backwater on the Mississippi.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 12:06:29 PM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Here is an outing from last year at Rice Creek.

Rice Creek didn't produce much this year due to low water levels. I heard the bullhead bite was crazy though.

Coon Rapids Dam and Anoka Dam were hitting carps aggressively a month ago. They are still there, but not eating as much. Corn fly worked really well.

Normandale Lake has some big ones, but they are harder to catch. A yak or canoe would help.

kschaefer3  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 12:27:18 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
Normandale Lake has some big ones, but they are harder to catch. A yak or canoe would help.

I can see Normandale from the window where I work. This spring I would sit and watch for movement. Often I could see many big dark figures slowly cruising along. I'm too far up to make a real guess at size, but they looked sizable for sure. Now that thing is a mess of weeds and you can't see through the weeds from above. Oh well, suppose I should be working, not looking at carp, anyway.
Mark Dahlquist  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:34:55 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks for the Rice Creek video. That looks like a charming stream to fish. I bet there are redhorse and white sucker in there too. You mentioned bullhead. What other species are in there? Smallmouth? Sunfish?

Another obvious one is Minnehaha. Directly below the falls you will find tanks. Also above the falls by Longfellow.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
EddieRivard  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2015 8:11:37 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Mark Dahlquist wrote:
Thanks for the Rice Creek video. That looks like a charming stream to fish. I bet there are redhorse and white sucker in there too. You mentioned bullhead. What other species are in there? Smallmouth? Sunfish?

Living two miles from Rice Creek I've had the opportunity to fish it many times in the last few years. I've caught Pike, Largemouth Bass, Perch, Sunfish, Carp and Channel Catfish.
Jared  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2015 10:38:53 AM(UTC)
Jared

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:

Cool video. How were you detecting those strikes, could you see the takes?
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
Gerrber  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 8:07:12 AM(UTC)
Gerrber

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:

Rice Creek didn't produce much this year due to low water levels. I heard the bullhead bite was crazy though.

Coon Rapids Dam and Anoka Dam were hitting carps aggressively a month ago. They are still there, but not eating as much. Corn fly worked really well.

Thanks for the video. I actually work a literal "Stones throw" from Rice Creek. As someone who just moved to the area I just overlooked it as some little urban stream with not much going on, from the sounds of it I need to stop over there occasionally after work, it will definitely scratch the itch when I don't have time to drive down to the DA.