Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapper  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 7:32:31 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 38 post(s)
FryinPan Dan stopped over late in the AM, sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky.I served up the usual round of screwdrivers and gave Dan a dozen Amish eggs I purchased on Sat. for $1.25-dirt cheap.

A quick trip to the fly shop,then to the Viroqua Food Co-op so Dan could get his fix of hippy coffee with a side serving(s) of fancy beer to go.I grabbed a single bottle of Stella Cider.

We got to the upper parking lot of Duck Egg Cty Forest and started to rig up when two Amish guys walked by us. I started a conversation with them and they proceeded to tell us of their great catches of Trout. I crack open the bottle of hard cider and Dan cracked open a beer. We talked to the Amish about all kinds of things like unwritten Amish rules(Nordung) and Sunday church and all kinds of stuff.
All of a sudden the oldest Amish states that they drink beer and smoke cigs. The corruption begins..
When all the beer was gone we went fishing taking the horse trail down to the valley floor and our chosen stream to fish.

Dan picks off one right away on a Green Turd, turned another one and that was about all the action we had on a 1/2 mile of stream. Something happened to many hundred of Trout in a year. Poor habitat along with heavy harvest from fishermen and herons has ruined the place. Tough hike in and out wasn't fun when the catching sucked along with losing a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses-grr

Oh well,drinkin beer with the Amish was cool.Watching the Amish smoking cigs was interesting.

We ate at Gassers Bar and Grill in V-town and headed to a shady spot on a small crick. Dan turded up a Brook and a Brown and that was it. I got one strike on drys and a big fat zero to hand.

Fish by the weather, not the calendar.

Disclaimer: I have no issues naming upper Duck Egg as it was hot spotted in the Milwaukee paper and it just plain SUCKS. The tore up fresh logging roads are not helping this creek at all.
Bet your last $ that I will be having a chat with many at the Land and Water department starting with the County Conservationist(dept. head)

Edited by moderator Monday, September 14, 2015 5:41:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Get Reel
Sponsor
AutobotTrainer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 8:33:37 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This the article you're talking about?

http://m.jsonline.com/sp...9336167z1-272443731.html
No thing created by man is infallible.
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 6:25:37 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Yeah, "that" stream is definitely better earlier in the year. I've had good luck there in the past, but haven't fished it in 3 years. The further up the canyon you go, the tougher it gets to walk the banks. I've always expected that much further upstream the fishing could be quite good, as few ever get up there (due to access issues).

That walk back up to the top of the hill is no fun at all after a long day of fishing.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
turbomike15  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2015 8:57:15 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

AutobotTrainer wrote:
This the article you're talking about?

http://m.jsonline.com/sp...9336167z1-272443731.html

yes.