Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

North Shore MN and WI salmon run Options
Mark Dahlquist
#1 Posted : Monday, October 05, 2015 11:51:10 AM

The board owner here asking for advice. I know a guy that caught a pink already. Is this the year for pinks? Is it the odd or even years? When will be prime time? Soon I imagine, especially after the area gets more rain? I'm dating a woman from Duluth so likely make a trip out of it. Likely stay close to Duluth. I think the Lester is on my short list and if not salmon I have some spots on the St Louis that look promising.

Please, any advice welcome. I've yet to sink into a salmon other than smolts (baby steelhead) on the Brule. My timing is terrible I guess. Who is going to the Brule?
-Mark
Board Owner

NBrevitz
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2015 1:33:39 AM

Fish started running about 2 weeks ago. Any smaller pink spinner will work, but Pink Yarn is the way to go. Keep in mind that its single hooks only below the barrier. Fish will be a little rough so I wouldn't go much later in the year. Lester sometimes has Chinooks right under the bridge, they won't be Lake Michigan sized fish but its worth a shot. You have a small chance at a Coaster Brookie too.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
redneckdan
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:05:21 PM

Pinks usually peak late 2nd to 3rd week of sept. might find some stragglers yet.

-Dan
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:17:40 PM

Ditto to other reports. Friends and reports say Pinks are in and have been for 2 weeks now. Friends are using pink jigs or pink buggers drifted. Brule River.