Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Colorado - Fly Fishing Options
TheDancingMan
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:59:58 PM

Since airline tickets are super cheap I am looking at a short fishing trip to Colorado before my summer vacation ends. I have never fly fished in CO so I am looking for any advice or suggestions anyone might have. I've been looking at the Yampa River and that seems promising. Also, Steamboat Springs seems a great trout spot as well. Are there any rivers or towns I should check out or, subsequently, avoid? Thanks for your help.
“What's his offense?
Groping for trout in a peculiar river.”

Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
DanE
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:43:58 PM

TheDancingMan wrote:
Since airline tickets are super cheap I am looking at a short fishing trip to Colorado before my summer vacation ends. I have never fly fished in CO so I am looking for any advice or suggestions anyone might have. I've been looking at the Yampa River and that seems promising. Also, Steamboat Springs seems a great trout spot as well. Are there any rivers or towns I should check out or, subsequently, avoid? Thanks for your help.

I am taking a family vacation to Steamboat Springs Aug 14-22 and plan to fish at least some while out there. I will send you a few links when I get a chance, and can also give you a report after we are out there. ThumpUp
TheDancingMan
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 8:54:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Steamboat Springs definitely looks sweet and I might check it out. I will probably be in CO around Aug 18th - 23rd.
“What's his offense?
Groping for trout in a peculiar river.”

Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
trapper
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 05, 2015 12:25:46 AM

A real cool kid runs Co troutbums on facebook. Check it out. Its a whole lot like this place.ThumpUp
Get Reel

dave j
#5 Posted : Friday, August 07, 2015 12:03:52 AM

On your way to Steamboat stop at Silverthorne and fish the Blue River below Dillon dam. Lots of big fish on small flies. Go to Silverthornes website and they have a access map there.
AKinMN
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 08, 2015 3:08:56 PM

And great shopping at the outlet malls that section of the Blue flows through.
Kickapoo swinger
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2015 6:48:14 PM

The Frying Pan river is beautiful and holds very large fish. Mysis shrimp are the major meal fare for the football trout.
The Frying Pan is a stones throw from aspen so you will need to drive your Bentley.

Just noticed that this is an older post so forget the Bentley and jump in your time machine.
Right now, at this very moment, it is the latest that it has ever been.