Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 12:45:28 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Managed to head down to Mankato for a couple days of hunting this past weekend. Managed to get my 2 Roosters and a couple rabbits to boot on some smaller public parcels. Wind made for some very close flushes!
Has anybody else been out chasing birds? I'm looking forward to chasing some grouse after Deer Season up on the N Shore. Lots and lots of birds up there.

Edited by user Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:40:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:38:34 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I was thinking of going a couple times this year. I want to scout out land for hunting, and thought it would be fun to try my hand at grouse while I do. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be humbled by the experience.
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:22:19 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:
I was thinking of going a couple times this year. I want to scout out land for hunting, and thought it would be fun to try my hand at grouse while I do. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be humbled by the experience.

They're tough to say the least. It took me 12 flushes to get 3 birds my last trip. Only got 5 shots off all day.

Edited by user Friday, November 13, 2015 2:59:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
ZP6  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:53:11 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Growing up in north central wisconsin my father took me grouse hunting almost every weekend in the fall. I still remember my first grouse and my springer spaniel trotting back with it. Fun times!

This summer we moved out of the city and back to the north woods. I've been out chasing grouse weekly with my pure breed vizsla. Pretty cool to see him point a bird out and how proud he is when we get one. Numbers seem to be a little down around here but ive had a little success with 11 birds in around 7 trips this year. Nothing like a grouse flush to scare the shit out of you.

Nick, i would love to take a trip up the north shore to chase some birds with you!
Skimmer  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 6:19:16 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hunted grouse all day weds and only saw 2 birds that flushed far away and in thick white pines. Saw nothing on the logging roads and put 50 miles on the truck. Just walked out of a duck hunting spot and spooked a pheasant on the access road. He put his head down and ran before I could get a shot off... would have been interesting to see what a 3.5in 2 would have done to him! Woot

Edited by user Friday, November 13, 2015 6:20:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 9:41:00 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Skimmer wrote:
Hunted grouse all day weds and only saw 2 birds that flushed far away and in thick white pines. Saw nothing on the logging roads and put 50 miles on the truck. Just walked out of a duck hunting spot and spooked a pheasant on the access road. He put his head down and ran before I could get a shot off... would have been interesting to see what a 3.5in 2 would have done to him! Woot

Assuming you're running full choke with steel shot, I'd say a decapitated Pheasant would probably be the case with a bird under 25 yards.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 9:42:38 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

ZP6 wrote:
Growing up in north central wisconsin my father took me grouse hunting almost every weekend in the fall. I still remember my first grouse and my springer spaniel trotting back with it. Fun times!

This summer we moved out of the city and back to the north woods. I've been out chasing grouse weekly with my pure breed vizsla. Pretty cool to see him point a bird out and how proud he is when we get one. Numbers seem to be a little down around here but ive had a little success with 11 birds in around 7 trips this year. Nothing like a grouse flush to scare the shit out of you.

Nick, i would love to take a trip up the north shore to chase some birds with you!

Hell yeah man! I'll hit you up next time I head up. Lutsen area is my favorite, some Spruce Grouse up there too, those are beautiful birds!
ZP6  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 2:57:20 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

NBrevitz wrote:
ZP6 wrote:

Hell yeah man! I'll hit you up next time I head up. Lutsen area is my favorite, some Spruce Grouse up there too, those are beautiful birds!

Please do, i dont mind hunting alone with my dog but having someone else to hunt with is much more fun.