Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NE IA Drifter  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2016 8:38:13 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

s.t.fanatic  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 12:30:25 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

This is a great thing! I wish more dams would come out in Minnesota. People get to hung up on tradition and recent "historical" sites that are effecting watersheds all over the area. If I was to build a dam on the stream that flows through our property i'd get cuffed and locked up.
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 2:10:46 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Interesting how on the interactive map the removed dams are clustered in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania (and in the northeast states).

Here in Milwaukee, the Estabrook Dam removal project has often turned into a political, rather than environmental debate. Removal of the dam would certainly provide for improved Trout migration to and from Lake Michigan during the spawning seasons.

Other projects on the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers in Milwaukee have made dramatic improvements in water quality, recreational possibilities and improved fishing over the last 30 years.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Skimmer  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 7:53:56 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

The Estabrook dam debate has been extremely frustrating to witness. It's been useless for the past few years. Time to get rid of it.
NE IA Drifter  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 8:39:02 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

http://www.theverge.com/...uit-restore-hetch-hetchy

China’s Three Gorges Dam, completed in 2008, plugs a 244-square-mile reservoir that can hold 39 trillion kilograms of water. It’s said that the sheer weight of that water has changed the physics of our planet, slowing the very rotation of the Earth by 0.06 microseconds. Scientists suspect that some of the world’s largest reservoirs can and have triggered major earthquakes.

While we are taking down dams others are building new ones. Hard for me to argue with it they need sources of energy, but damn this makes me a little sick. Can't help but wonder if this is necessary or only China trying to stimulate economic growth and will they be trying to take it down 50-100 yrs from now. Brazil is also a country with a lot of hydro power.
NE IA Drifter  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:08:36 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

I'll throw another good article out there for you guys.

http://projects.seattletimes.com/2016/elwha/

This one reviewing the changes to the elwha River after the dam was removed several years ago. Very cool how it has rebounded!
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:59:13 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
When I was last out to Oregon in the 1990s, there was lots of discussion about removing the Klamath River dam. It was a very hot topic. If you wanted to start an argument, just bring it up with the locals.

There was very little middle ground among the folks I talked too. Mining, logging and farming are the dominant industries in the area, which has done lots of damage to the river ecology. People are pretty evenly split amongst those who desire to consume those resources to make their living, and those who are striving to restore the river to pre-dam conditions. Caught in the middle are the remnants of the indigenous tribes who also have claims and concerns that they wanted addressed.

Last I heard, there was an agreement in place to allow for the dam to be removed, but it was now in jeopardy due to political issues.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
s.t.fanatic  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:09:19 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Damnation is a great documentary currently on Netflix.
s.t.fanatic  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:30:59 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic