Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Skimmer  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2016 10:53:01 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Headed out to the Westby area for 2 days of fishing and a night of camping. After an uneventful drive I was itching to get on the water so I B-lined straight to one of my favorite sections of stream. I missed 3 right out of the gate but it was a sign of good things to come. The very next hole produced my first and largest fish of the trip. Nice 16" Brown
UserPostedImage

I spent a few more hours catching fish before deciding it was time for a change of scenery. The next creek produced a few smaller trout. I've been skunked there every time I've gone so it was nice to get some sweet revenge. Ended the day with about 16 fish to hand and just about as many lost.

The next morning I headed over to Trappers with brook trout on my mind. I've caught brookies before, but never Amish Driftless Brookies (the ones with beards and straw hats). On our way we stopped by the local Amish lantern repair shop and picked up some parts for my aging Coleman. Trap got us on the fish right away. Battling the wind and trying to get my cast where I wanted it was pretty frustrating, but it paid off. Right as Trap was about to fire me for terrible casting on an excellent hole, I got it together.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
We pulled a few more trout out of that creek before we decided we'd had enough of the wind. After that the bite died off, we tried a few more creeks but hardly even saw a fish. It was time to hit the bar and relax. While indulging in some of the finest beers available (PBR) I had a chance to meet John Bethke who I promptly handed my attempt at a pink squirrel for critique. "Better than average, nice and spikey" that felt pretty good coming from the man himself. He even offered for us to stop by so we could tie a few together but I still had s long drive ahead and had to decline. Great ending to an awesome trip.

Edited by user Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:19:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Skimmer  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2016 10:57:54 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Many thanks to Trapper for playing tour guide today!
SquareEgg  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:49:43 AM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Outstanding! Wind has been nasty all week. Glad it didn't keep the fish off your line.