Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kickapoo Main Stem Options
madguy30
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:31:16 PM

*note: this is NOT asking about the West Fork.

Anyone have any stretches of the main stem of the Kickapoo that are fun?

Planning on being there this weekend.

I've fished a couple spots around Ontario that were pretty good a few years ago.

Just looking for some exploring and places to wade around a bit. May check out the Valley Reserve areaish.

Thanks.
William Schlafer
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:41:16 PM

I've actually never fished the main branch of the Kickapoo (for Trout).

If the weather is nice, the river is littered with vacationers in canoes and kayaks - so you would have that to deal with. During the summer much of the river might be too warm for Trout. But I've heard old timers tell stories about big Brown Trout caught in the spring. I've always wanted to work some of the mouths of it's many tribs to see if Mr. Big is lurking there.

For some reason the upper portions of the Kickapoo above Ontario is not considered Trout water.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:25:03 PM

FryingPan and I fished a stretch of it about a month ago. We got a few, but we covered a lot of water. The biggest issue I saw was a lack of visible structure to fish. When you did fish a bend or feeder, or a logjam, you may get a fish, but there is a lot of indescript water in between those few areas. If you were to spinner fish it, you could blast away and fish it quicker than with a fly rod, and likely get more fish, as I am guessing there are fishing hanging in structure you can't see. Even with it chilly, we encountered 2 gals kayaking. Just my opinion though, If anyone has better intel, feel free to prove me wrong.