Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
draik11  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:22:17 AM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hey guys!

I'll be in Ontario, Canada the first week of June to walleye fish and fly fish for norther pike. I'm wondering if any of you have some experience/tips you can share?

I've fished Ontario many times, so I know how the water is stained. Is there a recommended color/size of streamer to use? Do you use a specific knot between the fly line and leader? In the past I have used 2 perfection loops.

Any insight, guidance, tips, experience, etc. is greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:41:40 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Black or White bunny strips, flashy articulated streamers, frog poppers, and big Clousers are what my dad and I have used on Lac Seul.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
AKinMN  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:21:54 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
draik11 wrote:
Hey guys!

I'll be in Ontario, Canada the first week of June to walleye fish and fly fish for norther pike. I'm wondering if any of you have some experience/tips you can share?

I've fished Ontario many times, so I know how the water is stained. Is there a recommended color/size of streamer to use? Do you use a specific knot between the fly line and leader? In the past I have used 2 perfection loops.

Any insight, guidance, tips, experience, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Here's a good vid from Kip on toothy critter leader set-up.
I wished I would have seen it before I went to the BWCA a few summers ago. I had a monster pike hammer a topwater fly and shred a heavy floro leader like it was nothing.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:24:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

draik11  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:58:30 PM(UTC)
draik11

Thanks for the info guys. It's very helpful!

NBrevitz, I'll be fishing Lac Seul as well (Williams Lake connected to Lac Seul, to be exact). Were you able to find bays on Lac Seul that are shallow enough to use top water flies with floating line or did you go the sinking line route?

I think I'm going to take 2 spools, one with sinking line and one with floating line.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:54:31 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
draik11 wrote:

NBrevitz, I'll be fishing Lac Seul as well (Williams Lake connected to Lac Seul, to be exact). Were you able to find bays on Lac Seul that are shallow enough to use top water flies with floating line or did you go the sinking line route?

I think I'm going to take 2 spools, one with sinking line and one with floating line.

We were generally fishing in 4-8 feet of water, and in protected bays during low light periods the top waters were outstanding. If you want to chase bigger Pike you might need a sinking line to target the drop offs near the edge of the bays, we just did that with spinning gear.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
OTC_MN  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:20:23 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hiya -

Just spotted this, and good advice so far, but FWIW....

For flies, bunny strip flies are great. They're durable and fish eat 'em. They don't need to be pretty either. A strip of fur, and some hackle up front is about all you need. I would sometimes tie them by binding down the bunny strip 1/3 of the way back on the shank from the eye (used a short shank saltwater hook most often, although frankly a spinnerbait trailer hook you can buy at Fleet Farm works just as good) and leave 2" or so of the bunny strip in front of the tie down, then just wrap the tag end of the strip like hackle up to the eye. They look like roadkill, but pike aren't exactly selective, and they hold up better than hackle. Tie some with bead eyes or cone heads, some without, and glue the bejeezes out of the wraps on the head. Pike teeth can shred thread in a hurry. I use 5 min epoxy... As far as colors go, red/white, yellow/orange for sure (spoons like the old red/white and 5 of Diamonds daredevles are popular for a reason) but I wouldn't go without some black ones too. When I guided for pike in Alaska day in and day out black worked more consistently than anything else. Wasn't always the first color I'd have guys try, but it was always the second...if that makes any sense.

If you can tie them or buy them, Dahlberg Divers work great too. Sometimes they just make pike come unglued, and it's a riot watching them come up and woof one. Kind of a bugger to cast sometimes but it can be worth it just for the entertainment value.

As for leaders, wire is a must. I know some guys will tell you fluorocarbon is enough....but it's not. If you can cut it with a scissors, they can cut it with their teeth. I've had both pike and muskies shred #130 fluoro like it was yarn. Use wire...

I like Cortland Toothy Critter wire, but Tyger or Knot2kinky works too. Connect the fly with a 3-turn uni-knot or your loop knot of choice and the leader to the wire with an Albright. You can also use a short section of single strand wire in 45# test, and use Haywire twists to create loops to attach a fly and tie on your tippet. The wire doesn't have to be long - 4 or 5" is all you need most of the time. I did always tie a Bimini on the running tippet though, and there were plenty of times when that saved a bite-off. Especially in colder water, if you lean on a pike a lot they tend to roll, and the Bimini can save you if they get it through their mouth or across a gill plate.

Good luck up there. In all honestly, there are times when a guy with a flyrod will outfish someone throwing conventional gear badly when it comes to pike.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
DanE  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:15:14 PM(UTC)
DanE

I am preparing for almost the same trip, just a bit further east and a couple weeks later. I tied a bunch of leaders using the Kip Veith link that was posted earlier. Great video, thanks to AKinMN for supplying it twice now! They are easy to tie and should work great. The Rio Pike wire is super easy to work with compared to all the others I have tried (Cortland, Knot 2 Kinky, Twist Weld, etc). I tied some with 30 lb flouro and some with 20 lb flouro, all with 30 lb Rio Wire Bite. The 30 lb for usage where there are no snags, the 20 lb in case I am in areas where snags may be an issue, hoping the flouro will break before the pike line. When tying them, I started with a 24" section of wire, and after tying to the flouro and tying a snap on the other end, I end up with about 18" of wire, which is sufficient. I then tie the perfection loop last so I can keep the full leader at about 5 feet long. I have used the snaps linked below in size 2 & 3, plenty of holding power, but not super large which is nice.

http://lurepartsonline.c...lips/Stay-Lok-Snaps.html

Their location is really going to depend on water temps and level, basically what kind of spring it has been. Don't be afraid to take some smaller flies too, I have been tying big ones right now as shown below, but I caught a 36" pike off the dock on a 4" Deciever last time I was up there. I didn't use the fly rod too much that time, this time will be different for sure. I am taking a floating line and an intermediate sink tip, just so I have the bases covered if they are hanging a bit deeper on the rock points, in the weeds, etc. I am tying mostly brighter colors, but am going to be tying some that are more walleye colored, as we always catch some eyes that have pike scars, and even have them hit walleye boatside on occasion. I don't have any pictured, but yellow and red has always been a good color for me for pike on stained water, I plan to tie a bunch of those as well.

Once I get my bead chain eyes in, I will start tying some flashtail whistlers too. These below are all in the 5" - 7" range.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:18:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

draik11  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2016 7:42:05 AM(UTC)
draik11

Thanks for all the leader and fly information, guys! Without all this info, I'd be having a tough time.

Quote:
They look like roadkill, but pike aren't exactly selective, and they hold up better than hackle.

Great tip, I'll do this if I need to tie some flies while I'm up there.

Good looking flies, DanE. ThumpUp

Any thoughts or opinions on how fast sinking line should sink? 1 foot/second. etc.?

Edited by user Friday, April 15, 2016 7:53:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified