Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AutobotTrainer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:39:12 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I haven't been able to get up to the "good streams" in Iowa yet this year due to a lot of travel for work. Today I couldn't take anymore in the office and escaped to McLeod run. It isn't much of a stream, as it winds right by I-380 in Cedar Rapids. While having a natural cold spring source, and the dubious distinction of being Iowa's "only urban trout stream" there is a lot of storm drainage along it's path to Cedar Lake. The DNR does a huge dump of fingerlings and a few catchables in early May, but I didn't want to wait.

Usually, it is a lunch hour spent getting the winter rust out of my casting without much to be said for fish. Today, I was blessed by the trout lords and had my first brown of the year on a dry.

She isn't big, she isn't shiny, but damn it felt good to reel her in and see her spots! I hope this is an omen of a great year to come.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

*not pictured, the overwintered rainbow I caught that looked like it had been rolled in a razorblade-filled canvas bag. It had 2 or 3 open sores on it's side and a cloudy eye. Nasty.
No thing created by man is infallible.
Sponsor
donjuan  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 9:46:47 AM(UTC)
donjuan

Nice. McLoud is pretty cool, with all 3 species available. Definitely not the same feeling as being off the beaten path in NE Iowa, but there are solid stream-reared fish to be had.
hek  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 12:26:06 PM(UTC)
hek

Very cool that numero uno came off the top. Sweet work.