Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TedderX  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:08:46 PM(UTC)
TedderX

So I'm tying everything I can in the book, to learn the basics of fly tying. I tied three of those stretch tubing scuds, now I've tied a foam beetle. I'll tie a couple of those before I move on to the next fly pattern.

(Yes, I hate foam flies) but I'm learning is all.

I did have one question. When I tied the finishing half hitches. I didn't know if I should tie it under the "head" of the beetle or around the "neck" of the beetle. Which would be better?

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:22:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TedderX  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:02:34 PM(UTC)
TedderX

Poly caddis. My first attempt at dubbing. I'm learning that none of this is all that hard. It just takes patience and some instructions on how to do it.

UserPostedImage
kschaefer3  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:09:28 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

TedderX wrote:
So I'm tying everything I can in the book, to learn the basics of fly tying. I tied three of those stretch tubing scuds, now I've tied a foam beetle. I'll tie a couple of those before I move on to the next fly pattern.

(Yes, I hate foam flies) but I'm learning is all.

I did have one question. When I tied the finishing half hitches. I didn't know if I should tie it under the "head" of the beetle or around the "neck" of the beetle. Which would be better?

UserPostedImage

The correct answer is, learn to whip finish.BigGrin

I would tie it under the head though, regardless of if you half hitch or whip.
BTJ  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:04:52 AM(UTC)
BTJ

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
X2. Buy a whip finish tool, two well executed whip finishes is far better than any head cement, which I rarely use. I very much suggest you use youtube to watch how this is done and to learn the different patterns, I found it to be a much easier way to learn new patterns than the books. Similar to cooking, the devil is in the often details and the videos will help you identify these important things which help your flies look professional, a point of pride for most folks although the fish probably could care less.

I see also on the first page you posted some of the more classic dry fly patterns - while these are very lovely flies they are also very tricky. It is absolutely essential to get high quality hackle and a good stiff tail material such as the synthetic mayfly tails.
kschaefer3  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:11:08 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

BTJ wrote:
It is absolutely essential to get high quality hackle and a good stiff tail material such as the synthetic mayfly tails.

I agree on the hackle, not on the tails. I often use wood duck or golden mallard flank feathers for tailing material, and those are relatively soft.
MN Mountain Man  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:49:50 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Quote:
BTJ wrote:
It is absolutely essential to get high quality hackle and a good stiff tail material such as the synthetic mayfly tails.

I agree on the hackle, not on the tails. I often use wood duck or golden mallard flank feathers for tailing material, and those are relatively soft.

I use flank feathers often because I like the barred look and color. I just started using paint brush fibers as they're cheap, stiff, and easy to tie with.
MikeJuran  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 8:44:04 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

MN Mountain Man wrote:

I use flank feathers often because I like the barred look and color. I just started using paint brush fibers as they're cheap, stiff, and easy to tie with.

Paint brush fibers ... brilliant ...
Fly Me A River