Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:00:18 PM(UTC)
shebs

Finally back home and settled in after the week-long family reunion in the Tetons (girlfriend's family - I lucked out on this one!). I can't wait til I get back there again. Nice to get back to the place where my trout addiction began. Highly recommended. ThumpUp

After driving across South Dakota, we stopped for the night in eastern Wyoming - with only a few hours left to drive to the Tetons, I woke up early and fished a small stream near the Bighorns in the morning.
Nice little stream.

UserPostedImage

A decent number of nice fish to be found, as well. Kept a few for dinner for the group.

UserPostedImage

Got to the park, had some dinner and beers, hit the water the next morning. Can't beat the view from the Snake River.

UserPostedImage

Girlfriend caught herself some lunch, but we didn't fish long - bite was slow, and her attention span for fishing is limited Razz

UserPostedImage

Mid afternoon, I had to get the skunk out. Headed up to a smaller stream, as the main river was high, fast, and stained. Water there was also high and fast, but crystal clear. Caught a couple little guys right away, and was feeling good about my odds.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This was about the time that I realized the main channels were just ripping too fast to be good fishing. Saw 3 nice cutties hanging in a slow side channel, and from there on, focused my efforts on these areas.

UserPostedImage

Managed to get one out this run, but the others had lockjaw after I pulled him out. I wonder why? BigGrin

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Next couple days were spent hiking with the family - unfortunately, it wasn't JUST a fishing trip for me...but you really can't argue with the scenery and the wildlife.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Spent the last two days exploring the Snake River. I was worried that it would be too high with runoff still in full effect, but if anything, it seemed to help. Most of the fish I caught came from slower side channels (very braided river bed), some of which would pass for larger rivers around here Razz

UserPostedImage
Yup. That's a side channel.
The main river looks more like this:

UserPostedImage

8000+ CFS is no joke. Couldn't wade beyond knee deep for fear of winding up in the Palisades Reservoir. Combine that with slippery smooth freestone river rock, and it was a bank beating adventure. Current was so swift there was no way to fish even spinners except for quartering across the channel. You'd need a 20:1 reel just to keep up with the current.
Managed to coax this girl out of the logjam pictured above, though.

UserPostedImage

Got chased off of the river that night by a young grizzly bear - he was swimming right towards me, but then saw me and decided to head for the other bank instead (hence the grainy zoom photo). Didn't stick around long enough to find out if momma was nearby...

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

On my last day, it was all about hiking and exploring side channels with cover - felt like home LOL

UserPostedImage

That root wad yielded my best fish of the week - a feisty 18" cuttie.

UserPostedImage

Found a family of otters in the river as well. Curious little buggers. (Loud, too!)

UserPostedImage

That concludes the short version of my adventure. Good to be home, but holy hell do I wish that was home.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:05:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
madguy30  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:02:34 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Cool photos and cool about the grizzly bear! That can be scary and amazing all at once.

I came across a momma black bear and two cubs in the Porkies two years ago and while black bears are more timid and they went away, it could have gone bad very quickly.
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:19:10 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
A great adventure! Cool photos. I hope to get back that way again someday and fish some of those mountain streams.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MN Mountain Man  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:25:28 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I'm totally jealous! I was in the Teets last fall but only fished in Yellowstone. I was drooling at some of the waters we passed by. Those mountains are spectacular! I wanna move there tooDrool
shebs  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:51:40 PM(UTC)
shebs

MN Mountain Man wrote:
I'm totally jealous! I was in the Teets last fall but only fished in Yellowstone. I was drooling at some of the waters we passed by. Those mountains are spectacular! I wanna move there tooDrool

Driving up the wind river canyon is a killer. Just drooling at all that water, but noooooo we have to keep on driving lol
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Jumpsuit  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2016 8:06:48 AM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Very jealous congrats, and great pictures. Cutthroats are definitely on the buck list.