Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomles86  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2016 12:46:38 AM(UTC)
tomles86

Man

Round 2.... Got out to fish at around 3pm again on Wednesday the 29th. Saw 2 really nice fish actually jump clear out of the water chasing something.

Changed up the attire this time. switched from sandals, seeing as I no longer own a pair. This time wore my Keen sandal/shoes? Either way they worked great. They can't slip off my feet and offer a decent amount of protection. I tried a couple of promising spots but all casts were from from upstream. No luck.

I found a nice fork and went to the right and continued to cast. The floatant I bought doesn't seem to work very well with my Parachute Adams and fast moving streams. That said, I didn't get any bites. Once i came to bottom of the fork, I waded back up stream on the opposite side through heavy brush, which was impossible to cast in. Once I made it back to the top of the fork it was around 6:30ish and there was a nice shadow over the spot. I saw dozens of fish rising to the surface. After 8 casts I hooked one... So hard it flew out of the water towards me. Fricken Chub. I was glad however that I hooked it. Few more casts, 2nd chub. A few more casts, CHUB!!!! Ok I'm over this. Wade 10 feet further up the riffle, Cast, 6 inch brook. A few more casts and I landed another brookie... maybe 5 inches. I saw a nice slack water spot to the left of the riffle and watched a really nice fish explode out of the water. I cast there a number of times with no luck. Over all a really nice day. Wished i could have fished it longer.

Round 3 Thursday

Got there again around 3pm. It had rained prior to my arrival. Water was down a bit since my first visit. Watched a number of fish rise to an area north of the spots I'd been fishing. I also brought a Spinning rod with a spinner(cheating... I know, but i wanted to get a feel for if there were any big takers on the spinner) Threw the adams for a while and was casting really well. Had what 3 or 4 fish crash my PA but missed them. Switched to the Spinner and caught 3 Brook Trout all from 8-10 inches. I felt dirty... I felt unclean. I continued to wade north and saw what I'm assuming was a 12+ inch brook explode out of the water... cast 25x in that direction to no avail. I waded further north and it ended up getting too deep and too turbulent for me to continue. Packed it up for the day.

All in all I need more time to fish this river. I hate only having 2-3 hours every now and then to fish it. It never feels like enough.

Things I need: a different type of Floatant(i want my flies riding high)

Things I'm curious about: Last night as I was standing outside my house I saw what I identified as a Hex Mayfly...Are they still biting on hex patterns?! Better to fish them only at night? or would they take one during daylight hours?

Sponsor