Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paul worsterberg of the deplacements  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:50:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hi everyone.

i don't have a musky/pike rod, so i went looking...was looking for something short and stout (something i can fig 8 with), not expensive (i'm "extremely careful with money").

then, i see the mojo bass fly rod for $150. i got the 9wt 7'11". it is a 2x4.

along those same lines, i picked up a redington behemoth reel. $100.

now, i am looking at lines. the rio musky/pike line is called just that. written right there on the box! i'm no dummy, so i figured this line is for pike/musky (not necessarily in that order--see the box).

but, i don't know if i should get the 8, 9 or 10 wt line.

keeping in mind that the line is made to be heavier than the standard line weight by quite a bit and the rod is short and tight...what line should i choose???

thanks!!
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:14:04 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Wow, so subjective. I recommend not getting Rio and buying Airflo instead. I've used the mojo bass in an 8 and it is really stiff. If you like faster rods, go with the 9 wt line, if you like slower rods, go up to a 10.
tomles86  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:39:19 PM(UTC)
tomles86

Man

I highly recommend scientific angler line...best stuff out there
DanE  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 6:56:18 AM(UTC)
DanE

I have a Sage Motive in a 9wt, not sure how the action matches up with the St. Croix you bought. I am typically an Airflo guy like Kyle, but I was able to find the Rio Pike and Musky from last year on closeout on E-bay. I bought a floating line and an intermediate sink tip both for about $90, basically 2 for the price of 1. The Rio line is awesome, it has a really large tip to turn the big flies over well. I fished that setup for the 1st time when I was in Canada and was shooting almost the whole line by the end of the trip. I liked the line so much I bought the same 2 lines for my 8wt when I got home. I found the 8wt line for $50 a spool on e-bay, so still a decent price.

Per the original question, you may need to cast it with both weight lines to see what you prefer. If you get the sink tip, it will load the rod a little more than the floating too, just as an FYI.

Edited by user Friday, July 15, 2016 6:59:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#5 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 8:28:16 AM(UTC)

thanks, gents!

i dont' know anything about air flo so i will look into what they can offer. thanks, k-schae.

the rio closeouts are a great price--that was a big influence on my choice too. gotta love the closeouts. DanE thanks for the first had account of the line. the st croix seriously is so stiff i can't even imagine it loading during a cast--it's crazy.
kschaefer3  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 9:04:07 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

paul worsterberg of the deplacements wrote:
thanks, gents!

i dont' know anything about air flo so i will look into what they can offer. thanks, k-schae.

the rio closeouts are a great price--that was a big influence on my choice too. gotta love the closeouts. DanE thanks for the first had account of the line. the st croix seriously is so stiff i can't even imagine it loading during a cast--it's crazy.

It sort of doesn't feel like it loads, but can shoot a country mile of line.
Pete  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 10:04:45 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kschaefer3
It sort of doesn' Go to Quoted Post

What did you think of casting such a short rod? The pool cue-like action has to have an effect on the casting stroke; what about it being a foot or more shorter than atypical 8 or 9 weight?

My understanding is that it comes in just under eight feet so that it can be used for bass tournaments? They have an eight foot length limit on rods? Hard to believe there are that many fly anglers fishing tournaments that they'd need to design such a specialized rod.
#8 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 5:12:44 PM(UTC)

pete--you are on the money with the 8 foot tourney rule. i don't watch a ton of bassmasters, etc but i have never heard of a fly caster among the ranks.

could just be a marketing gimmik. either way, i have high hopes it's going to be a super stellar musky rod. feels like it will be!
aaron14  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 8:53:50 PM(UTC)
aaron14

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
paul worsterberg of the deplacements wrote:
thanks, gents!

It sort of doesn't feel like it loads, but can shoot a country mile of line.

Which Airflo line model are you talking about? I used Airflo Super Dri Bonefish on a recent smallmouth float and I could bomb that stuff a mile as well. I'd have 25 or so feet of line out, load it once, and let it fly. Really accurate too. Thinking about getting some for my 8 wt, but have been considering their Super Dri Bass/Musky too.