Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zugbug  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 1:40:03 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would agree with the earlier comments concerning expensive reels. Aside from quality of manufacture, the biggest difference between less expensive vs more expensive reels is the drag system....high end reels typically have more sophisticated drags. That being said, if you really have your heart set on a fancy reel, take a look at the Ross Evolution LT.
TedderX  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:21:23 PM(UTC)
TedderX

Thanks fellas.

I'll look into all of these.

The only company I know of personally is Scientific Anglers. And that's because I bought their cheap combo package several years ago. It's caught fish for me but I'd like to invest in nicer equipment now.
HuggyBear  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 7:05:03 AM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I got a Sage VXP 2 years ago, and its a great rod for the price point. Super fast, so you'll want to line it with a line that's either a half grain, or full grain heavier than the weight of the rod. I've lined it with both the old SA GPX line(which is now their MPX), and currently have the Rio Perception. Both lines, which are a half grain heavier, made the rod sing.

I paired it with a Nautilus FWX.
kschaefer3  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 7:16:00 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Zugbug wrote:
I would agree with the earlier comments concerning expensive reels. Aside from quality of manufacture, the biggest difference between less expensive vs more expensive reels is the drag system....high end reels typically have more sophisticated drags. That being said, if you really have your heart set on a fancy reel, take a look at the Ross Evolution LT.

I do love my Evo!
SOLOtrout  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 1:42:07 PM(UTC)
SOLOtrout

I fourth the statements on the spending 2/3 of your budget on the rod. Like was stated earlier the difference between expensive and less expensive reels usually if components and drag system. This being said do yourself a favor and check out Lamson Reels, their drags are the same throughout out their product line the difference is finish, and components. I consistently reach for my Lamson Konic (now discontinued) reels and will by a liquid or remix in a heartbeat. Rods will make more difference than reels.
lightningo2  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2016 7:50:27 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd have to agree with spending alittle more on the rod. Get something quality and one with a great warranty. St Croix rods are excellent. I also just recently picked up this click and pawl reel from Ross. It's a Ross Colorado LT. Beautiful reel, but a bit pricey.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, July 15, 2016 7:53:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 8:47:19 AM(UTC)
DanE

lightning02, I saw that reel the other day for the first time and went into immediate drool mode as it would match well on my 6wt Sage Response. Luckily they don't make it for a 6wt, as it saved me a bunch of money. If I didn't already have a Hardy for my 4wt I would have bought it in an instant for that rod.
lightningo2  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:09:14 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
DanE wrote:
lightning02, I saw that reel the other day for the first time and went into immediate drool mode as it would match well on my 6wt Sage Response. Luckily they don't make it for a 6wt, as it saved me a bunch of money. If I didn't already have a Hardy for my 4wt I would have bought it in an instant for that rod.

Dan, I just recently lined it up and took it out to chase some brookies! Great reel and I also had the same reaction when I seen it! Well worth it in my opinion. I know it's only a line holder, but a damn good looking one.