Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rcrfc  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:47:25 AM(UTC)
rcrfc

Purchased my first fiberglass rod a couple weeks back, Redington Butter Stick 7' 3wt, as a bargain cave super deal. Only had it out once on a quarry pit fishing from a canoe. The wind was strong that day so it didnt see much action, maybe a couple dozen casts and two bream, before stooping to a spinning rod. Laugh

Yesterday evening had an opportunity to do some fishing, but only had a couple hours of remaining light. From my location at that time I decided to start at the closest stream and drive to find solitude. First stop was French Creek and not a soul in sight. ThumpUp

Had my graphite fly rods along, but was itching to try out the Butter Stick. Third cast with a foam hopper I tied had a vigorous take. The fight was on, at one point taking to the air, at least 2 feet.

May not be the largest brown Ive caught, but sure was the best lookin'. The photo doesn't do the crimson and white fins any justice, nor does the shadow from my leg. I was so focused on getting the fish released that photo quality didnt cross my mind.
UserPostedImage

Caught 6 more brownies the rest of the evening, all smaller than the first, but fun none the less.

The deep flex of the Butter Stick really made fighting the fish fun. The slower action was easy to adjust to and presented the flies very accurately and soft. I really like the feel of the glass rod, and may have a new full time driftless rod. ThumpUp
Sponsor
Jumpsuit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 7:22:17 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Very nice!! I bet that was a blast, I've been learning to fly fish with a fiberglass rod and like casting it more than a graphite so far. How did French look?
rcrfc  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 10:25:35 AM(UTC)
rcrfc

Jumpsuit wrote:
Very nice!! I bet that was a blast, I've been learning to fly fish with a fiberglass rod and like casting it more than a graphite so far. How did French look?

Appeared to be a normal flow rate. Some of the shallow/slow areas were weedy but not anywhere as bad a South Bear if you have seen it this year. The water was clear so the fish were skiddish and one spook ruined the pool. Forgot my thermometer so not sure of the water temp.