Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
West Branch  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:14:53 PM(UTC)
West Branch

If you hadn't heard, a bunch of rain fell in Winneshiek and Allamakee counties in Iowa last night (8/24/16). Minnesota Public Radio is also reporting mudslides and flooded roads in Richland and Crawford counties in Wisconsin. Unofficial reports of nearly a foot of rain at Calmar-south of Decorah-are typical. The Turkey River is headed for record crests and the Upper Iowa is well over flood stage. Roads are closed and school is canceled in Decorah. Without even looking, I'm pretty sure the area streams are blown out for awhile.

The good news is that this seems to be pretty local. I checked the NOAA site for water levels on Otter Creek in Fayette county and the Maquoketa River, both of which are holding steady. Anyone in far NE Iowa or SE Wisconsin, keep us posted on how much trouble we're in.

Be safe out there.
Sponsor
mbchilton  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:17:08 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just posted pics on the WI thread.
trapper  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:16:42 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I checked three streams in the Lansing area,all looked devastated at best- grr
Get Reel
West Branch  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:54:15 AM(UTC)
West Branch

Northern tier Iowa counties got hit hard. Southern watersheds didn't get much at all. The Maquoketa is a bit lower than it was when I fished it on Friday.

It's always amazing to me how trout seem to survive these high water catastrophes. Of course, that doesn't help us TODAY.
West Branch  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2016 3:50:44 PM(UTC)
West Branch

The Turkey River crested today at Elkader five feet below the 2008 record crest and way below the projected level. Even so, the DNR moved 150,000 rainbows and brookies from Big Springs rearing station to Decorah and Manchester for safe keeping. In '08 the Turkey came up at Big Springs and washed all the rainbows into the river. For a couple of years afterwards you could catch rainbows miles from Big Springs. High water records were set upstream from Elkader, but the water appears to have spread out and slowed down a bit. The upper reaches of the Turkey system might have been the hardest hit in the rains on 8/24, but there is a bunch of damage in the Upper Iowa system, especially around Decorah.

The Yellow River and tributaries took some water too, as did the Paint Creek system, but it looks like levels are dropping fast. The storm seems to have missed most of the Volga and Maquoketa systems, where water levels are just a bit high for August. Let's hope for a bit of dry weather.

Jumpsuit  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2016 6:29:49 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thoughts out to everybody with damaged property and land, this sucks.

To be the devils advocate though, I am curious to how this changes alot of stream habitat and population? Also how will this change trout populations in the lower reaches of streams with fish washing out/down?
AutobotTrainer  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 9:47:16 AM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unfortunately, N-E Iowa is likely to get slammed again early next week. Not a good summer for trout streams in Iowa. Much of the Driftless is in the cross hairs.

UserPostedImage
No thing created by man is infallible.