Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2016 6:24:01 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Last week I got an email from Fading Angler. He planned to be in the area and was looking to chase some trout. It was a hectic week at work and I forgot to reply until the end of the week. Thankfully FA was still down to fish so we met up on Saturday morning to fish a private stretch of water that I had permission to fish.

I failed to resize pics before posting them to my blog so check out the pics at MN Driftless Fly Fishing

We started out catching a few smaller fish before hooking into decent numbers of browns and a few decent rainbows. I hoped the fish would be stacked in their usual lies but they were a little difficult to locate. This stream is located further south than I usually fish and it still had a decent stain on it. The area had some flash flooding a while back and the streamside vegetation was still laying down. It looked like the water must've been at least 5 or 6 feet high and well out of the banks in many areas.

While they weren't stacked we still landed a few over 12" with the biggest at around 17 inches. That fish may have been the fattest trout I've caught! It was great to get out with another DTA'er. FA was a solid fisherman and a great dude to spend a few hours fishing and bsing with!
Sponsor
West Branch  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2016 7:17:31 PM(UTC)
West Branch

Great report and photos. The heat of summer is beginning to be a memory. It's a great time to be out catching a few fish.
TheFadingAngler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:52:28 PM(UTC)
TheFadingAngler

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
MN Mountain Man wrote:
Last week I got an email from Fading Angler. He planned to be in the area and was looking to chase some trout. It was a hectic week at work and I forgot to reply until the end of the week. Thankfully FA was still down to fish so we met up on Saturday morning to fish a private stretch of water that I had permission to fish.

While they weren't stacked we still landed a few over 12" with the biggest at around 17 inches. That fish may have been the fattest trout I've caught! It was great to get out with another DTA'er. FA was a solid fisherman and a great dude to spend a few hours fishing and bsing with!

That was one fat brown trout. I kinda broke etiquette and tried lifting the beastie. Would've made some nice, thick fillets if one were so inclined.

Many thanks to MN Mtn Man for tolerating a slow moving, slow rigging, slow-handed angler. I learned quite a few things watching him and he offered some great tips. Come to think of it, I used a few tricks on Sunday that I learned from watching Eddie last month in the Big Horns.

Speaking of the driftless legend, I tried to do my best Eddie impression. It's a no-hands selfie, and yes, I too was so happy.

UserPostedImage
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:55:50 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
That was a really fun and productive outing for you guys. I like the dark chunky brown. San Juan does well! Whatever works! Good to see DTA'ers fishing together.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
TheFadingAngler  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 8:06:59 PM(UTC)
TheFadingAngler

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TheFadingAngler wrote:

Many thanks to MN Mtn Man for tolerating a slow moving, slow rigging, slow-handed angler. I learned quite a few things watching him and he offered some great tips. Come to think of it, I used a few tricks on Sunday that I learned from watching Eddie last month in the Big Horns.

Speaking of the driftless legend, I tried to do my best Eddie impression. It's a no-hands selfie, and yes, I too was so happy.

Looks like my attempt to show off the no-hands selfie (a feat that I doubt even Eddie can top!), failed miserably. Trying again...

UserPostedImage

#sohappy