Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Winnebago Creek Options
Gerrber
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 1:49:36 AM

I was down in Houston county today and had a few free minutes to scout some new-to-me water which happened to be Winnebago Creek. Upon arriving at the first easily driveable access point I noticed this sign just off the road:

Since it was outside of a campground I figured it was part of the camp. Anyways well further down the road I come across 3 more of them spread out over a few miles. I'm all about fishing whatever style makes you happy, I'm just curious if anyone knows what's with the heavy anti-fly fishing sentiments? Cool old-timey backstory? I've also never seen so many "no trespassing/no fishing" signs hung on one stream....with that said it really made me want to bring my fly rod down there and excercise my right to access the stream, just to ruffle some feathers.

On a side note after spending a decade plus in the Driftless and never seeing one, this year I've seen 2 timber rattlers this summer. Sadly the one I found today on the road had a smashed head, must have been fairly recent as his body was still moving a bit. This one was relatively small(24ish) compared to the other one I saw this summer(maybe 4 ft and fit as a fiddle).

West Branch
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 3:04:09 AM

There's a can of worms for ya. I can only guess at the motivation for such signs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a reaction to special regulations streams where only artificial lures are allowed. Fly fishing is considered an elitest activity by some folks who have never met a fly angler like me, for instance.

My question would be: What if everyone in my family is a fly fisherman?
ilikefood
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 11:49:08 AM

That's a cool rattler! I've never seen one but keep my eyes peeled. You're lucky to see two in one year. I'd love to see one - from a little distance.
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory.
- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac, p. 40 (Oxford University Press, 1949).
OTC_MN
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 3:39:18 PM

Part of the reason for the signs is that the DNR won't stock sections of stream that don't have public access. Apparently some property owners down there feel that they should have their private stretches of stream stocked on the public dime.

The other, frankly, is rude fishermen who don't respect the easement boundaries or rules that are there. Coming from a family farm where dealing with trespassing hunters is as much a part of autmun as leaves falling, I hate to say it, but I kind of get it.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
s.t.fanatic
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:40:38 PM

OTC_MN wrote:
Part of the reason for the signs is that the DNR won't stock sections of stream that don't have public access. Apparently some property owners down there feel that they should have their private stretches of stream stocked on the public dime.

The other, frankly, is rude fishermen who don't respect the easement boundaries or rules that are there. Coming from a family farm where dealing with trespassing hunters is as much a part of autmun as leaves falling, I hate to say it, but I kind of get it.

X2
William Schlafer
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:01:09 PM

I have yet to meet an elitist fly fisherman (at least in the DA). I imagine they exist, but I really don't know if I would recognize one in the flesh. Easier to put us signs and cast hate than to take time to understand each other and share our public resources. Most of the fishermen and landowners I've met are quite friendly, once you take the time to talk to them.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
AKinMN
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 9:17:54 PM

OTC_MN wrote:

Some of those signs are actually on land with easements. The story I've heard is that a while back the DNR was advocating instituting "the slot" on Winnebago and some of the land owners and Camp Winnebago didn't take it too well so they put up those signs.
s.t.fanatic
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2016 4:29:17 PM

AKinMN wrote:
OTC_MN wrote:

Some of those signs are actually on land with easements. The story I've heard is that a while back the DNR was advocating instituting "the slot" on Winnebago and some of the land owners and Camp Winnebago didn't take it too well so they put up those signs.

That is not exactly how I remember it but It was along those lines. I believe it had more to do with a special interest group (which is perceived as being made up of big money fly fisherman from Rochester, the twin cities, Madison, etc. in the eyes of a lot of rural folks) pushing for special regs. which the MN DNR will tell you do absolutely nothing to improve the size structure of the stream there imposed on. This all happened after the special input meetings that were held back in the early 2000's.
MN Driftless
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016 9:07:53 PM

The signs started to appear along the valley when their were proposals for Winnebago to have some special regs, which, has no special regs. A 9/16 wrench can make one of those signs your very own. Not that I would know anything about that Glare . The local landownership went a bit over the top with it, but to each their own. There are some uneased sections that are easily accessed with a stop at the house and a knock on the door.

There is one landowner in the valley who is actually an avid fly angler, but he stays pretty mum on the subject of the signs. After all, he's got to live with them everyday.

I haven't found any cool looking rattlers in that valley, but I have found an abandoned meth site one time. Another time, it was an abandoned truck with Iowa plates on a Sunday morning that decided to go joy riding off road and bottomed out the truck. I walked up to it and looked inside to find beer cans and a fully loaded .22 rifle. I thought it best to exit the area.