Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
West Branch  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 6:10:19 PM(UTC)
West Branch

Over the last several weeks the fishing on my usual beat in Iowa has been pretty darned good. Too much work has kept me from getting out as much as I'd like, but at least once a week I manage to torment some trout. Warm weather seems to have delayed the brown trout spawn a bit. Even yesterday (Nov. 5th), only a few redds were just beginning to appear on a stream where some years it's hard to wade certain sections without tromping through spawning beds. Another stream that I fished a couple of weeks back already had a few redds and I witnessed a couple of big fish excavating gravel in about 8" of water.

Tiny mayfliest are hatching regularly in mid-afternoon the last few times I've been out and it's good to see some fish rising. This time of year I try to cover a lot of water quickly as a way of getting an informal fish count on my regular streams. Days of 30 to 40 fish are typical with lots of missed trout as well. In the last 10 or so years, natural reproduction has mushroomed to the point where many Iowa streams have self sustaining populations of brown trout. This is encouraging on a couple of counts. The Iowa DNR has worked on soil conservation measures with farmers and property owners who have highly erodible land. Water quality is generally better than it was not that long ago. The second--and equally important--factor is better fishery management by the DNR witth an emphasis on wild fish.

One thing that hasn't changed is the continuous open season. This is a great time of year to fish for trout and the weather this year has made it even more fun to get out there. We're depending on good spawning to keep the newly thriving Iowa trout fishery on track for future years. As you wade Iowa streams, keep an eye out for redds!
Sponsor