Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wibirdhunter  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:53:58 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm thinking of getting into fly fishing for driftless trout mostly plus occasional trips for lake run fish up north and the bigger rivers out west in Montana or possible other states.

I don't see me throwing little flies at all right now I use baitcasters and rapalas or bigger pm's and mepps my ultralight I thought needed for trout doesn't get used. I'm planning on just throwing big top waters baits like mice or using big streamers.

Can I get by with one rod for targeting big fish with big baits in the driftless and also big fish on bigger water like the Brule or Missouri in Montana?

Basically I want a big trout fly setup as another tool in bag.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:12:41 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
wibirdhunter wrote:
I'm thinking of getting into fly fishing for driftless trout mostly plus occasional trips for lake run fish up north and the bigger rivers out west in Montana or possible other states.

I don't see me throwing little flies at all right now I use baitcasters and rapalas or bigger pm's and mepps my ultralight I thought needed for trout doesn't get used. I'm planning on just throwing big top waters baits like mice or using big streamers.

Can I get by with one rod for targeting big fish with big baits in the driftless and also big fish on bigger water like the Brule or Missouri in Montana?

Basically I want a big trout fly setup as another tool in bag.

A 9' 5W or 6W rod should serve you well as an all purpose rig. Enough power to cast through the wind, and enough heft to land bigger Trout. Most folk fishing the smaller streams of the Driftless Area use 8' (or shorter) 3W or 4W rods. Most of the smaller streams don't require long casts, just high accuracy and delicate feel. The bigger streams up north and out west will require a better and beefier casting rod. I carry 3W, 4W & 5W rods for various situations. But the bulk of the time I'm swinging my 4W - which is a good all-around performer.

Good luck,
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:59:37 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
5 weight works very well for an all around rod. Should be able to cast several sizes and types of flies, and could also use it for warm water species outside of big musky or northern or something.
AKinMN  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:59:01 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good luck landing a fresh Brule River steelhead on a 5 wt. If you're going this be mostly huckin' big streamers for trout and want to steelhead go with a 6 or 7 wt. I'll be using my 6 wt for a week on the Mo' late may.
DanE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:10:36 PM(UTC)
DanE

If you had to choose just one, a fast action 6wt is what I would go with. That said, a 6wt would be a bit heavy for most driftless fishing, and maybe a bit light for steelhead. Personally I would recommend 2 rods, a 4wt for the driftless and then maybe a 7wt for steelhead.
Trouts  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:00:49 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you like fly fishing you will eventually end up with multiple rods. If you think you are mostly going to throw large streamers,then a 6 or 7wt would be the way to go. If you like that then you can get a 3 or 4wt.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
wibirdhunter  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 6:41:11 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Trouts wrote:
If you like fly fishing you will eventually end up with multiple rods. If you think you are mostly going to throw large streamers,then a 6 or 7wt would be the way to go. If you like that then you can get a 3 or 4wt.

Me? I'll probably end up with dozens and use 2-3 if my current fishing gear or my gun stash is any indication of my buying self control.

I'm probably lying to myself saying I'll just have 1 rod I don't wade in and tend to dive in head first when I decide to do something.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys I'll probably start with 2 rods if I decide to give it a try.
wibirdhunter  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 2:56:43 PM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Ended up with a 5 weight and an 8 weight both sage rods that cabelas is closing out.

Took the 5 weight for a test run today and was able to get 1 brook trout to hand so far in the cold.
West Branch  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:16:00 AM(UTC)
West Branch

There are times when a small, delicately presented dry fly on a slender tippet is the only way to catch certain fish. It's difficult to make that sort of presentation on a Driftless stream so small you could jump across it if you're using a long, heavy rod. As others have said, you're likely to end up with more than one rod.