Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Brookies and Browns in Richland/Crawford County Options
cschub13
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:01:05 PM

I'm actually planning to check out Melancthon Creek Saturday.
StorminNorman
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:14:27 PM

Nice man, I'll check out a different one. Let me know if u find any brookies in there!
cschub13
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:10:51 PM

StorminNorman wrote:
Nice man, I'll check out a different one. Let me know if u find any brookies in there!

I'll be sure to let you know. Probably going to hit a few other streams while I'm out that way. I'd love to find some brookies as well.
jfinn
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:21:16 PM

I have landed many brookies in Iowa/Grant county. I'm not very versed in the streams of your counties of interest but the Wisconsin outdoor almanac does show the fish type and if it is natural or stocked.
Gurth
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:16:41 PM

Feeling the need to try somewhere new.

I get into a rut of going to my sure(r) things coz I get one day a week to go far afield and I don't like to risk it.

That said, I'm never content walking the same steps over and over, so thinking of heading to Richland County.

I see Willow Creek has a lot of miles.

Any thoughts?

I don't need your spots, just good rivers. I'll find the fish and actually enjoy that part of it.

I'll be going on Saturday or Sunday. Would prefer a good stream that's less travelled to a great one that will be busy.

Thanks!
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
William Schlafer
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:07:22 PM

Gurth wrote:
Feeling the need to try somewhere new.

I get into a rut of going to my sure(r) things coz I get one day a week to go far afield and I don't like to risk it.

That said, I'm never content walking the same steps over and over, so thinking of heading to Richland County.

I see Willow Creek has a lot of miles.

Any thoughts?

I don't need your spots, just good rivers. I'll find the fish and actually enjoy that part of it.

I'll be going on Saturday or Sunday. Would prefer a good stream that's less travelled to a great one that will be busy.

Thanks!

I grew up on Willow Creek. The fishing there can be hot or cold, depending upon conditions and weather.

The good news is there's miles and miles of public access (check the WDNR website). The bad news is much of the stream has high collapsing banks which can be hard to fish off and can lead to a untended swim if you're not careful. Much of the stream is unwadeable due to silt, but there is some better rock and gravel stream bed further up near the village of Loyd.

Willow also muddies up at the slightest provocation and runoff is a big issue. During the summer the water warms up quickly. The big DNR recreation section above Neptune can be particularly treacherous walking due to the swampy ground. But if you can Rambo your way into the more remote areas away from the road, you'll find water that few fishermen ever fish.

Above Loyd is mostly private land, but it becomes more Trouty and there is a population of Brook Trout to be found along Hwy K - if you can figure out how to get in there. The vegetation along the stream will make big sections of the stream inaccessible by mid-summer. However there are pasture sections just below and above Loyd.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:11:07 AM

Thanks so much for the report Bill!

Sounds like the upper portion will be more to my liking as I prefer to get in the water and fishing a bank from 6 feet (or more) up is tough.

I'll probably hit it at some point whether it's this time or in the future. Been eyeballing it and its tribs on sat maps for a while now.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!