Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
taion  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:44:32 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

Bill, Do you have a favorite type of fly box? I must admit I have fly / fly box envy.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:54:06 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
taion wrote:
Bill, Do you have a favorite type of fly box? I must admit I have fly / fly box envy.

I haven't found one box that meets every need, so I use a variety of sizes and types for different flies.

My favorite are these small slim profile boxes. They're available from several sources, I got mine from Orvis ($8 on sale). They hold a boat load of small flies, nymphs and bead heads. Best part is that it fits easily in any pocket (1/2" thick) and has a simple straight-forward design. I have four and they've held up great.
UserPostedImage

The Tacky Fly Boxes are a good choice for dries and small terrestrials. They're pricey, but are very well build and designed. The silicone foam holds up really well and the clear plastic cover makes it easy to see what's inside. I also bought the larger size one for my streamers and articulated flies, which has worked out well.
UserPostedImage

For Hoppers and other large flies I like this V Blue plastic box I found on Amazon. It's not so bulky to be nuisance in vest pockets, but is big enough to not crush higher profile flies. And it's inexpensive, so you can afford to buy several.
UserPostedImage

I have a bunch of these Flambeau foam boxes also. They're nice and light, and float like a cork. Drop one of these in the water and you'll have to chase it downstream. But the foam really grabs the barb of the hook making it difficult to extract them. And the foam breaks down after repeated insertions/removals. And they can be a little bulky in the pocket.
UserPostedImage

One consideration when selecting a large fly box is how you might feel if you lose it. A box that holds hundreds of flies is a big blow if it falls out of your pocket and is lost while on stream. A smaller box with a dozen or so flies isn't the end of the world. I mark all my boxes with my phone number, just in case.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
jfinn  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:11:33 PM(UTC)
jfinn

I've labeled a few boxes now to fill from my Plano boxes and tie until I fill the rest.
WI-fly  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:06:50 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The Cliff's Bugger Barn is nice for bigger streamers. Plenty of room, but still slim enough to put in your pack or vest.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: The flies/box in this photo are tied by Courtney Morris (@sculpinarmy) and are prizes for the upcoming Coulee Region TU banquet on 2/24. I'll have another box of flies just like it to be used as a prize at the festivities after the Cozad's Driftless 1Fly event on March 25.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:08:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram