Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OrrickOutdoors  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:24:46 AM(UTC)
OrrickOutdoors

Hit Pierce County Monday and Tuesday: Rush River, Cave Creek, Cady Creek.
Streams were clear and water levels appeared normal. Snowbanks and drifts made parking in Cady access points tricky. Prius drivers need not attempt; my Outback managed.
Morning sun brought out midges and risers both days. Afternoon clouds (or cooling temps from melt?) seemed to hamper the hatch. Tuesday's wind made things tricky, nasty even. Brookies in tail riffles seemed most aggressive but the bigger ones were deeper in slow pools -- spooky waters -- and seemed most interested in pink squirrels. All my browns were in seams just below plunge pools. My best luck was on tenkara flies on the lift or Mickey Finns on the swing, but I'm regretting not nymphing more, but another guy I talked to said they were so light on the take that he was having a hard time detecting bites, even with an indicator. All in all, action was slow but steady. Half-dozen fish each day, nothing photo worthy. Angler incompetence always a possibility. So good to get out. This weekend could be a zoo!
Sponsor
Seabee1  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:36:08 PM(UTC)
Seabee1

I can't believe how warm it's going to be this weekend
posaunefisch  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:06:42 PM(UTC)
posaunefisch

Man

Thanks for the report!ThumpUp
"I can tell by the smell in the air I'm going trout fishing tomorrow " MacQuarrie
@mrjhenning
http://tonesandtrails.blogspot.com/
taion  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:48:36 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

Went out today in Pierce County. Got up early so I was on the water by 7 am. They were biting really well till about 8 am then it slowed down a lot. Maybe there is something to early birds and worms after all. Sure felt good when it warmed up though.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
TheDancingMan  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:00:38 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I fished the Willow River and had some luck swinging black wooly buggers. Drove past the upper Kinni on the way home and noticed it had a pretty decent stain. Any updates for other Pierce county streams?
Trouts  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:25:39 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Rush was pretty clear this morning. Kinni definitely had a bit of stain when I drove by. Midge fishing was good for a little over an hour.

Edited by user Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:31:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
taion  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:36:00 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

Rush had half the visibility of last week and a wee higher where I was. There were also people crawling all over it today. Such nice weather.
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.