Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:58:12 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Last year I experimented with furled leaders for the first time. I tried the Blue Sky product and a no-name cheap furled leader that I got online. I had mixed results with these and wasn't enamored with the quality of either product. So, this year I sprang for some higher quality options from Cutthroat Leaders.

I picked up two of the 76" Dry Fly furled leaders with the orange indicator section, one in 0-3W and another in 4-6W. I also got a 50" River Nymph furled leader, in 4-6W. All have small tippet rings installed.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

I haven't had a chance to fish with them yet, as the 2017 inland Trout season here in Wisconsin doesn't start for a few more days. I expect they won't get a real test until warmer weather comes around.

Has anyone used these leaders extensively?

I had some issues casting with the Blue Sky leader and found that the problem was that I didn't have the right size furled leader for my fly line, and was using too heavy and too long tippet material. I primarily use a 4W rod for most of my fly fishing. The Cutthroat Leaders come primarily in two sizes: 0-3W & 4-6W. With a 4W rod and line, would I be better off using the 0-3W for smaller flies, and the 4-6W for streamers and weighted stuff? Or just stick with the 4-6W for all options? Or maybe it doesn't it matter?

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:38:21 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
hi Bill,

I use Cutthroat Leaders exclusively. I really like the laydown for dry flies especially.

Some complain of spray on the false casts. I never have had this problem, and theorize that it's because the lines haven't been treated properly. By "treated," I don't mean that they've been ridden hard and put away wet, but literally, they need to have floatant (at least for dry fly lines) applied before use. Most of their furled leaders are made from thread, not nylon mono, and that thread can absorb water. Cutthroat sells Payette Paste, but you can of course use any floatant. I feel that it fills the cracks and crevices that might otherwise hold moisture that would be expelled during a false cast. In generally, I find it to be wise to wash these out at the end of each day, just some warm water with a smidgeon of dish soap, then rinsed carefully. Let them dry, generously apply floatant, and you're good to go. I guess if you're fishing a whole day it might not be a bad idea to reapply floatant just after lunch. It takes about 20 seconds.

By treating my furled leaders carefully, they've lasted 3+ years, and so are quite economical compared to buying tapered mono leaders. I buy mine with a tippet ring but you can also just use a shorb loop.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
MikeJuran  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 1:17:35 PM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

bill i have used both the dry and nymph leaders from Cut Throat .... i like them both ... i especially like the camo/orange section when nymphing ... no need for strike indicator cause you can watch the orange section of the leader pretty easily except in really bright glare scenarios.
Fly Me A River
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 1:56:20 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
weiliwen wrote:
I guess if you're fishing a whole day it might not be a bad idea to reapply floatant just after lunch. It takes about 20 seconds.

Cutthroat did thrown in some of their floatant for free with the leaders. It makes sense to treat them every now a then. Thanks for the advice!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
#10WOOLY  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:51:04 AM(UTC)
#10WOOLY

Man

I started using Cutthroat Furled leaders about four years ago. It is all I use now. They lay down nicely. I but mine with the tippet ring. As long as you take care of them they will last a long time.
"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman