Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Great news for the 'Poo Options
HookJaw
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 01, 2017 6:12:14 AM

Pretty cool. There are still good people on this earth:

http://lacrossetribune.c...-b4b8-9b8f160eec5b.html

Guessing this is too far upstream to hold a good number of (sizeable) trout, but when you conserve headwaters, you really can't go wrong.

Anyone familiar with the hemlock remnant in Wildcat State Park? This could be even cooler... I hope to scout it within the next week... will report back

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
West Branch
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 01, 2017 1:40:04 PM

It's always a pleasure to hear this kind of news. I'm glad to know rhere are enlightened people around who have the resources to show their generosity in this way.
William Schlafer
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 01, 2017 2:55:02 PM

Nice to see some more land added to the conservancy for future generations to enjoy.

As far as Trout fishing in the area goes, the very upper reaches of the Kickapoo River north of Wilton is supposed to be Class I Trout water. But it's a very tiny stream there, even by my standards. Farm runoff is likely the limiting factor.

WDNR Trout Maps show some Trout streams further East over by Kendall. I've looked at those and they didn't look very promising and I didn't see any evidence that anyone fishes them. The locals I talked too didn't know of any Trout fishing in the area. Further west and above I-94 there are abundant Trout streams, although access is limited in places.

Further down the Kickapoo towards Ontario the river gains volume looks like interesting water that could hold Trout. But I've been waved off by a number of folk who said not to bother, unless you were after Bass. Of course, once below Ontario, there are a number of tribs that are excellent Trout streams. Every now and then I hear about someone catching a large Trout in the Kickapoo itself, but during the summer the water warms up too much and there are flotillas of canoeists to deal with.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos