Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 8:49:34 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Saturday was a cool and very windy day. I tried a Iowa county stream, but only had this solitary Brown Trout to show for my efforts.
UserPostedImage

Deciding that I hadn't had enough punishment for one day, I elected to try this tiny Richland County Brook Trout stream that's been on my bucket list for awhile. I had visited it a few years ago in July and found it completely inaccessible. Six foot high weeds made for a solid barrier along the stream sprinkled with plenty of those annoying red thorny bushes that tear up your clothes and skin. I made a mental not to stop by sometime in the early spring when the weeds weren't so bad. Saturday turned out to be that day.

As I hoped, most of the weeds were dead and fattened out, but there was still plenty of remnants that made casting to this really small stream tricky. Add to that 25MPH wind gusts, and you got yourself a challenge.

Go ahead, try to cast in there. I dare you. I double dog dare you!
UserPostedImage

This tiny sidewalk sized stream winds it's way up a tight valley with lots of grade change. There would be 100 yard long runs of narrow fast water, broken up by small hook corners, deep cuts and small pools. Nearly ever spot that could conceivable hold a Trout had at least one or two.

With ultra clear water shallow water it was difficult to get close enough to cast to a likely spot without spooking the Trout. Snaking a cast into the narrow water on any other day would be tricky, but with the wind it was particularly frustrating. 75% of my casts ended up on the bank or hung up in the weeds. I managed to snap off or lose five of my precious Pink Squirrels in the effort.

UserPostedImage

The casts that did hit the water were greeted by quick strikes by hungry Brookies. Within 90 minutes I had 25 in the net, ranging from 6"-11", all very aggressive and put up impressive fights in the small stream.

A sampling of typical Brookies.
UserPostedImage

I was surprised when a pretty golden Brown Trout made an appearance. I was told there were only Brookies here. I guess the neighborhood is changing.
UserPostedImage

This was easily the widest and most open section of the stream. It doesn't look all that promising, but his run produced six fine Trout.
UserPostedImage

It was time to call it a day, but I decided to try this one last particularly good looking spot. I wasn't disappointed when this fine fat 12" Brookie hammered the fly. A nice way to end the day!
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, March 6, 2017 8:52:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 9:04:30 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Wow. Epic day.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
taion  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 3:07:50 PM(UTC)
taion

Man

reminds me of several small streams around here. Last few times I fished them I was ready to pull out my beard with errant casts. Defiantly forced me to learn to cast better.
Nice Fish Bill, I love Brookies.ThumpUp
I think all fishermen prefer to be thought of as crazy.
big_river_bum  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 3:39:27 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
that fish is a p-I-g PIG. even starting a hook jaw

I drove around today trying to find the first bwo's of the year and found the typical midges. tried 4 or 5 different patterns and only got a few strikes. missed'em all. maybe I need to go to the pink side Flapper
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 5:10:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Thanks guys!

If the wind hadn't been so nasty, I could've caught a ton more. Spent lots of time untangling line and fetching my fly from the weeds. I'd love to try that stream during hopper season, but I think I'd need a tractor with a sickle mower to cut a path in there.

Funny story about the big Brookie.

I made a cast to a deep cut along the bank. As usual, the wind caught my line and the fly hung up on a weed overhanging the bank. Instead of trying to jerk it off, I shook the end of my fly rod to try and unwrap the leader from from the weed. Sure enough, it unwrapped and the fly fell off and into the water. The Brookie rose up but refused the Pink Squirrel. I made my next cast further upstream and stripped it through the run. This time he hammered it and the fight was on. He was strong and fat, clearly the alpha fish in that part of the stream.

I knew the day wouldn't get any better after that. So as soon as I shot the photo I started the hike back to the car. A good way to end the day.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos