Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OrrickOutdoors  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 6:56:34 AM(UTC)
OrrickOutdoors

Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 8:24:29 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Great story.

Although I love coming off a stream after a long day of fishing, dropping by a local bar and watching some of the basketball tournament. Same thing at the end of the season: fish in the morning and hurry to the bar to watch college football.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 8:25:47 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've actually had pretty good luck in a pool under a thawing hillside. I'd stopped to re-tie and have a snack when a bunch of rocks and dirt dropped in. I figured the ruckus had booted all the fish, but I gave it a couple casts, got followed and then actually managed to catch a couple. There must've been bugs mixed in.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 10:11:39 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Hoggies wrote:
I've actually had pretty good luck in a pool under a thawing hillside. I'd stopped to re-tie and have a snack when a bunch of rocks and dirt dropped in. I figured the ruckus had booted all the fish, but I gave it a couple casts, got followed and then actually managed to catch a couple. There must've been bugs mixed in.

I've used the tactic of kicking up some mud upstream from a good looking spot. A bit of stain in the water shields Trout from overhead predators. And it often contains food that induces them to start feeding. This works best when the sun is out and Trout are reluctant to come out from cover. Fishing downstream from cattle crossings can also be effective in certain situations.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Guillermo  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 1:44:41 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:
Hoggies wrote:

I've used the tactic of kicking up some mud upstream from a good looking spot. A bit of stain in the water shields Trout from overhead predators. And it often contains food that induces them to start feeding. This works best when the sun is out and Trout are reluctant to come out from cover. Fishing downstream from cattle crossings can also be effective in certain situations.

-Bill

I guess we could call that the "Coulee Shuffle" in honor of the famous "San Juan Shuffle". Laugh
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 4:43:17 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

There was a posting here on DTA some time ago (can't find it now) about a decomposing dead cow in a stream and the Trout downstream feasting on the bits and maggots coming off it. Don't think I would go kicking a dead cow to try and stimulate a Trout bite however.

-Bill