Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Vermilion river MN fly fishing areas??? Options
Bradc
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 02, 2017 6:18:44 PM

I think this falls into the driftles region.
I have been to the vermilion river in the farmington area to trout fish,,very brushing,,I'm a good caster but this was horrible.
Don't have to name any secret spots but do you have any suggestions for fly fishing stretches or is the whole stream pretty much a bait and lure water.
Thanks in advance.
WI-fly
#2 Posted : Monday, April 03, 2017 12:02:10 AM

I've never fished the Vermillion but I know of some big fish pulled out of there on the fly. Steve Swedz has several videos on the Vermillion. Doesn't look like he's a fly fisher, but you can take a look at the water he is fishing.

=============

Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.

CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
#3 Posted : Monday, April 03, 2017 12:41:17 PM

I've fished this river a few times and most have been during trout opener when the rainbows were just recently stocked as they are quite easy to pick up with a bugger or prince nymph. You are also combat fishing at this time. I have fished this creek in other areas and the action has been very slow. Lots of pike, carps and suckers. The structure and cover does scream TROPHY BROWN UNDER THAT LOG! If you are patient and willing, I am sure there are trophy sized browns to be caught there, however given there are other trout streams near there or 30-45mins across the border with a higher quantity of smaller trout per square mile, the action of picking up a bunch of small trout makes it slightly more interesting than hunting for big trout.

WI-fly
#4 Posted : Monday, April 03, 2017 3:56:10 PM

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
I've fished this river a few times and most have been during trout opener when the rainbows were just recently stocked as they are quite easy to pick up with a bugger or prince nymph. You are also combat fishing at this time. I have fished this creek in other areas and the action has been very slow. Lots of pike, carps and suckers. The structure and cover does scream TROPHY BROWN UNDER THAT LOG! If you are patient and willing, I am sure there are trophy sized browns to be caught there, however given there are other trout streams near there or 30-45mins across the border with a higher quantity of smaller trout per square mile, the action of picking up a bunch of small trout makes it slightly more interesting than hunting for big trout.

That's a great point CAD. My friend who has fished it said the same thing. Lots of time spend slogging through the stream for a shot at a few monsters. He said one day he fished 7 hours and caught two fish out of the same hole. First fish was a 30+" northern. 5 minutes later was a 23" brown.
=============

Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.

CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 04, 2017 1:58:41 PM

WI-fly wrote:
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:

That's a great point CAD. My friend who has fished it said the same thing. Lots of time spend slogging through the stream for a shot at a few monsters. He said one day he fished 7 hours and caught two fish out of the same hole. First fish was a 30+" northern. 5 minutes later was a 23" brown.

Given my stage in fly fishing now....7 hrs for two fish with 1 only being a 23inch brown is totally worth it. My first and second year of fly fishing was all about numbers. Size didn't matter. I got a few spots mapped this year to try. I wish I can fish this stretch during the CnR season.